From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 02:22:56 -0700
To the FML:

    Unfortunately, a message of yesterday went to the wrong list concerning
the recent withdrawal of Rhone-Merieux distemper vaccine:

>>Yup, Rhone-Merieux is recalling their vaccines containing Canine Distemper.
>    I have seen material from several puppies that exhibited neurological
>signs following vaccination with this product...

    PLEASE NOTE: This rare problem has occurred recently only in association
with vaccination with Rhone-Merieux's distemper vaccine.  This is the
company which produces Imrab, the approved rabies vaccine for ferrets.
THERE HAS BEEN NO REPORTS OF ANY TROUBLE WITH IMRAB.

    Please remember, no one should be using distemper vaccines other than
Fervac-D or Galaxy-D in their ferrets.  This has been mentioned over and
over on the FML for various reasons, the possibility of vaccine-related
distemper being one of them.

    It was my hope (and still is) not to start a panic on the FML with this
accidental post.  One case of post-vaccinal disease in a ferret (and with a
non-approved vaccine) is not an epidemic, and should be expected when
non-approved vaccines are used.

    This goes to show that you must be responsible when taking your ferrets
to the vet - you must inquire what they are being vaccinated with.  While
most distemper vaccines will cause no damage, Rhone-Merieux is one that I am
concerned about when use in ferrets.  Until more is known about this current
problem, I will strongly recommend against it's usage.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP
Dept. of Vet Path, AFIP
[log in to unmask]  OR
Chief Pathologist, AccuPath