From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 16:24:41 -0400
Hi, folx.

I'm becoming a bit concerned.  The fuzzbutt that has been in residence in
my home the longest--Mysti-Ferret is either showing signs of something, or
is perfectly normal and I've just never noticed before.  But anyway, I'll
tell you what I've seen and maybe someone can tell me what's up.

Mysti has always had rather thin fur on her back.  You could clearly see
her light-pink girl-ferret skin, but she's never shown and discomfort.
Just give her a little eye shadow and some mascara and she was fine!

Well, lately, I've been closely observant of my fuzzbutts.  It's probably
because of the loss of Silver Dude, but I'm not positive about that.  But
lately, I've been noticing that the hair on her back, from just behind her
ears, to just in front of her tail, is very thin, as well as the hair on
her belly.  I've also noticed that she scratches quite a bit (somewhat more
than the rest of the Rodeo Clowns), yet she has no fleas that are willing
to get caught in a flea comb and her ears appear to be clean.  I've done
the mite cream bit on her ears, too.

Upon very close inspection, her skin appears to be a bit more
beige-colored, rather than the usual light-pink and it appears to be a bit
flakey near her haunches and the back of her neck.  I haven't used any flea
drops on her, so I don't think it would be an allergic reaction to that
sort of thing.  Also, anywhere from one to five of the other ferrets like
to sleep on/next-to/under/around her thoughout the day and none of them are
showing any signs of anything strange.  The fur on her tail, legs, face and
neck (front) all seem to be of normal thickness.  Her vulva is normal-sized.
Her appetite appears normal, as does her water intake.  She gets up
regularly and fumigates the litterbox.  Though she doesn't play quite as
much as the others, this isn't unusual, since she never *did* play a whole
lot.  She's always been one to get as much sleep as she possibly can.
However, when she plays, she has as much energy and spunk as the rest.

I've called two vets in the area and they both feel that nothing is really
wrong with her.  They've both said that it sounds like normal summer
shedding.  I give her slightly more ferretone than normal and a small dab
of FerretVite every day.  Could these signs indicate adrenal?  Could it
just be that she has dry skin?  If so, what do I do to treat that?  Could
she have a skin parasite that isn't visible to the naked (did *I* say
naked???) eye that could be causing her difficulties?  If so, why haven't
the other contracted this parasite?

Other than the scratching, she doesn't appear to be in any discomfort.  She
wardances if she thinks I'm trying to catch her (and I typically can't,
when she is doing that!), but I can sneak up on her and scoop her up.  She
likes playing hide-n-seek still and she plays with baby Hershey whenever
she isn't sleeping.  You all don't suppose she's just getting old, do you?
Say it ain't so!!!  :(

Todd and the (I'm "fixed"?  You mean I was "broken" before?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo
Clowns!

---
"users.success.net/toddl/"