From:
Todd & Andi Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 08:55:32 -0400
Hi again!

Thanks to everyone who sent helpful suggestions to help me introduce Snitch
to the rest of the troop!

Two quick questions:

        1) Bailey (our 4 yr old) has recieved injections of Dexamethasone
every day for nearly a year. I can't remember exactly what for - she's had
an adrenal removed, a cystic infected uterine stump removed, and an
insulinoma diagnosed, and was seriously ill following the operation, I
believe we began the Dex after the illness. I know that in humans, long
term steroid use can cause kidney damage. As she gets older, and is on this
medicine longer, are we at risk of damaging hers? We've experimented and
have her on the lowest dose possible, and she doesn't do well without it,
so discontinuing isn't an option. Is there any way to minimize the damaging
effects of the steroid?

        2) I've now read several sources (other than Dr Williams) that
recomend feeding older ferrets maintance foods, which are lower in protein,
and easier on kideys. I'd love to feed it to Bailey, but she lives with a 6
month old, a 1 year old, and a 1 1/2 year old. I could mix some into our
blend - but that would lower the overall protein for the others. Any
suggestions?

Thanks!
Andi & Bailey
(Bandit, Franklin, Pickles, Snitch & the unnamed buddy all say "HI"!)