From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 22:31:34 +0800
>From:    June Batz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: DAF-ADV?-ASAP

I have posted on this subject already on the FML ... if anybody is
interested I will be more than happy to send them further information or
answer any questions.

In related ADV issues ... several posts of a "private" ADV list (not the
one advertised here - a whole different one) have been posted on
alt.pets.ferrets newsgroup.  Those posts were very "controversial" and
posted by "your leaders".  If you have any questions, comments, concerns
on them - please ask me directly.

>Anyone owning DAF ferrets from the may 4th 1999 litter from Pandora and
>Roliver please contact me.  So far, to my knowledge we have 2 ADV positive
>ferrets.  I have not tested my Oliver yet..I guess I am thinking ignorance
>is bliss.  I am wondering if he is ADV pos.  if that could have been the
>cause for Joe's death, though he certainly was not "wasting" it was a
>rapid onset... :(

June ... from my knowledge 3 kits from that litter have tested positive.
These ferrets are NOT showing signs of illness.  E-mail me privately to
discuss this further.

I highly suggest testing Oliver as I had suggested prior.  I am sorry to
ask, but did you have a necropsy done on Joe?  I think I had asked you
once before, but I can't remember your answer.

For anybody owning ferrets from me - please test your ferrets.  I have
tried to contact all of you via e-mail, my sister-in-law via phone, and
thru e-mail lists and newsgroups.  Most all have responded.  Some have
been tested and some have not.

For those that have tested, I suggest contacting Cornell University at
607-253-3060 for an IFA test.

One person that had two ferrets from me that tested CEP positive (and
lived with her other ferrets (that tested negative) for a year) tested IFA
negative.  The test results were 1:8 and 1:16 Parvo Positive.  What that
means is, in order for them to be positive for an Aleutians parvo virus,
their IFA test results would have been in the 1:125 range or higher.  Their
titers were so low, they could be considered 'trace'.  This would indicate,
while they do have antibodies to 'a' parvo virus of some sort, they do NOT
have antibodies to ADV.  So please consider having this test done - as I
understand it is fairly cheap as well.  Contact me for more information if
you are interested.