Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 04:44:21 -0500
Now that the little ferret from Bossier, LA is safely out of the area,
it can now be told that she is an innocent little girl with a wonderful
disposition and I'm the boss attitude! Last December, if you recall,
this little girl made national news when she and her pit bull
puppy-brother were accused of chewing the toes off their one month
old skin-sis while the parents slept nearby. The pets were taken into
custody by Bossier City Animal Control, the kids by the state of LA and
the parents by Bossier City Police. To learn a little about it, you can
read it here:
http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?s=5799008
OR here:
http://www.wwaytv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=5842824&nav=menu70_2
<http://groups.google.com/groups/unlock?msg=f6045ba5214116c5&_done=/group/alt.true-crime/browse_thread/thread/b5f4eec615e69341/c3eadb361bc71307>
<http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061220/BREAKINGNEWS/61220010/1002/NEWS>

These links were taken from the FML December issues (more can be found
there).

Well, Shreveport is home to me and I was headed there for Christmas -
a long trip that is made shorter by a break at the home of my friends,
the Stouts (Wolfy, Sean & Rocky, Scott and Chet to you). When I was
there we went out to dinner one night. While we waited for our table,
what should come on the news but this story! It had made national news!
I was dumbfounded and just knew the animals were now in trouble or
safer - not sure which!

While in town, I dropped by Animal Control to see if I could see the
ferret, make sure they had proper food and bedding, as well as toys,
because by now the ferret had been there a couple of weeks. I was not
allowed to see "him" beause of the criminal charges against the parents
(couldn't see the puppy either, so it was not discriminatory).

The people were very nice and when I discovered that I had forgotten
to leave the hooks for the hammock, I went back to do so. They told me
that the ferret was sleeping on the hammy in the bottom of the cage
because they didn't have anything to hang it with (they did now!) and
that he had gobbled down the food and played with the toy. Very nice
people. While there I saw them take in an injured dog and try to adopt
out another dog to a family. It didn't happen and I am glad, as I
overheard the mom say that she had an arrangement with the bank that
all her checks would be covered, but that she cannot go get cash to
cover the fee. Good call, AC!

After returning to CT I called about once a week to see how things were
going with the ferret - welfare inquiries. They always said fine. Then
one day I got a call from them, asking if I would be willing to take
the ferret. I said, of course, but told them there were people closer
and a local shelter that could help. I was told that they want the
ferret to be moved from the state so that it is not surrounded by its
past. (Nobody there believes the ferret is guilty.) I said sure and
the wheels were set in motion. It took several weeks while I had my
attorney draw up papers, while the DA's office decided exactly what
they wanted and while the parents' case was in court.

Friday I got a call that I could come pick up the ferret now. The DA
decided that they would not allow anyone except my attorney to sign for
them and the papers had to be signed by me and notarized in CT before
they would release the ferrets. And no, they would not accept the fax
with the original to follow - it had to be the originals. These were
overnighted and by Monday all was in place. At 10:00 central time, my
attorney, my mother (who picked up the ferret, who I was now calling
Louie) and the AC officers met and did the legal stuff that transferred
ownership to me, as a representative of F.E.R.R.E.T.

A transport was already in place and my mom and aunt took the first
leg. They headed west and Louie, who I NOW knew was a Louise, started
her journey. She has been examined, has her shots and is ADV tested.
She will begin her journey to her new home as soon as we can get the
transport arranged. Those dog people are great at this, too!

There are stories at the following links:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070130/NEWS01/701300333
http://www.ktbs.com/news/local/5401221.html
http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=5978218&nav=menu50_1_1

I don't have any way to post pics, but will try to find a way so y'all
can see the little girl. My mom was impressed - not easily done! I wa
told she is bright and alert and knows how to use the litter box - a
smart little girl! And, she had a normal poopie - Mom KNEW I would want
to know! lol

I was told that there was an outcry to euthanise the animals when
this happened. However, AC did not and they are to be commended.
Please read the shorter post about us saying thank you to them.
Contact info there. :)

Thank you to Bossier Animal Control, to Liz Walker and Mr. Jackson
especially, to the Bossier DA's office, to my attorney and all of you
who checked on the ferret. And, thank you to Bill and all the people
who knew something was in the works for keeping this low-key until the
ferret was safely sprung!

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the