From:
Gordon Bengtson CI/ASMEL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2004 07:50:01 -0400
Neighbors had told me of seeing a ferret loose in their back yard and
thought it was mine.  I had Byte-me loose out there several times where
she loves the outside but I was always present with her.

In further conversation of this loose ferret the neighbors stated that I
was not around so I knew for sure that was not Byte-me or even Diz when
she was here.

Then yesterday I was in the very lower part of my back yard contemplating
mowing the weeds down when a black furred creature raced like lightning
to get away.  I didn't get the greatest amount of time to examine the
creature but long enough in a fleeting second to see it was a weasel, a
very dark furred weasel.

This is what the neighbors had seen by their description.  It seems there
are weasels here enough that they even have been hit by cars.  One was
hit down in the Civil War Battlefield area of the Chicohomony Swamp.  The
driver brought this hurt animal to the SPCA who nursed this thing until
it died.  Everyone was scared for rabies but the animal was proven to be
clean.

Not sure I would want to corner this animal but would love to observe it
as it does what it normally does in the wild other than run from me.

Gordon and Byte-me