From:
Jason Kryska and Cheryl Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:00:12 -0700
I found this little bit of information while reading a site,
(http://www.vin.com/PetCare/Articles/VetHospital/M00259.htm)

Great site with lots of info!  Im boning up as (with fingers crossed) I
have been accepted to my Veterinary Assistant Program, starting in the
fall!  *** WOOOHOO!!  ***

This bit of information was in regards to people keeping HedgeHogs
outside.  *Honestly, I shudder at the thought of keeping a Hedgie
outside!*  But I can definately see how the same sort of situation
could happen with a Ferret who was lost or left outside.

~If you keep your pet hedgehog outdoors, it can be exposed to fly larvae.
One type of fly larvae, known as Cuterebra lays eggs around the cage door
which then adhere to the hedgehog when it rubs up against this area.
Each egg hatches into a single large larvae that burrows into the skin
and continues to grow.  You will see a large lump forming under the skin
with a small hole at its tip, which is the larva breathing hole.  These
larva can be safely removed by your veterinarian.  There is no aftercare
needed once the larvae is gone and the hole it occupied is flushed with
an antiseptic solution.~

Its pretty grotesque, but better to know about then be surprised -if-
something like that ever happened, I figure.

Hugs an Dooks

Cheryl and the Crazy-Crazies