From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:27:17 -0500
Hi gang, don't let the different email address fool ya, it's still me, I
just happen to have two addresses, as if things are not confusing enough for
me!!

Right after I told everyone I has 26 ferrets here, I suddenly had 29!!  The
cat and the ferret came in I am to board for a couple weeks, and are here
now, and sadly today it is official, the ferret (Bandit, oh boy, now I have
TWO Bandits!!) came down with the greenies.  Boy was he sick today!!  He
threw up at least six times that I know of.  He is feeling better now, but I
have never seen such a pitiful face.  He is really pouring it on.  I don't
know his exact age, but he has to be under 3 at the most, so I don't think
we will have any problems, will keep you posted.  The cat is adjusting well,
that is, as well as can be expected for a cat who hates every other critter
here.  Her name is Cheyenne.

A club member showed up at my door on Friday as well with two rescues from
the flea market!!  They were on cedar shavings and at 87 degrees at 10:30
and the idiot selling them wasn't concerned at all about the possibility of
them suffering a heat stroke as the day went on.  This guy had traveled over
a hundred miles with them in the back of a poultry truck with a bunch of
chickens and other foul, egad!!!  Well, Faye had a fit but it did little
good, so she "bought" two ferrets.  She did not know what to do since she
was not prepared for them and her home is about 30 miles away.  So she
brought them here until she can make preparations, I will keep them for
about a week probably.  They are young, could be full grown but act like
kits.  They are not MF.  They are very sweet they do not bite and they play
with my hand very gently.  In fact, they play constantly!!  They had no idea
what a litterbox was, so the first night they covered the floor of their
X-LG kennel with litter and slept on it.  <sigh> The second night, they did
not dig in the litterbox at all, and actually pooped in it!!  They did not
miss it once!!  Smart kids, huh!

Update on the boy who *was* a biter.  By the way, I want to say thanks to
all of you who wrote with suggestions on his biting, etc., and on his back
problem, I really appreciate your help with him.  Anyway, TODAY he actually
PLAYED for the first time!!  It was great to see.  He has been so cautious,
I think he was afraid to play.  The most interesting part is that he played
with me and he did the normal ferret things like hissing with his mouth open
and dancing, and he put his mouth on my hand but *ever so gently* just
barely put his teeth on me.  He already KNOWS to be gentle!!  Now, this was
a boy with a very bad reputation as a biter who had gone through six homes
and was on his way to the pound.  Yes, he bit me too at first, but I NEVER
hit him for biting, or for any other reason, no matter how hard he bit me.
All I did was scruff him and say "No".  I never taught him how to gently
play with me, he does this on his own.  This only proves what I figured out
the first day, that he only bit because he believed I would be just like all
the other humans he had known and that I was going to hurt *him*.  When I
did not hurt him, he figured that out, and did not have to protect himself.
At heart, he is really a sweet and gentle ferret, he was just very badly
treated, this was probably simply due to ignorance on the part of all of his
former owners.

He is also becoming more eager to come out of his cage.  He begs with those
eyes now to come out.  In the beginning, when I opened his door he would
cower and peek out hesitantly, as if waiting for the human who was going to
strike him if he stuck his head out.  So sad to watch.  Now he watches my
every move as if trying to get my attention to let him out.  You know how
they give that look that makes you feel guilty so you just have to take them
out and cuddle them for a few minutes (usually right as you are walking out
the door for work).  When I open the door he steps right out now, with only
the slightest hint of caution still.  This has been so wonderful to watch
this transformation!

Here is proof folks, that love goes so much farther than "discipline".  The
hand that helps (loves) should NEVER hurt!!  They just cannot understand our
hurting them.  It does no good, and only injures your relationship with your
fuzzy friend.  If there is a problem, why not try to "think" like a ferret
(as I did) to figure out why he/she behaves the way they do *first* then try
to work together for a solution.  Hitting should never be an option!!!!!!

Just when I thought 29 was more than enough, the four that were due in next
week I had to go get today!!!  So now we have added Spook, Snoopy, Bear, and
Taz.  Oh boy, even more names to remember <sigh>.  So what is that??  33
now?  I may have to move outside into a tent and let the fuzzies have the
house.  The four new kids are all healthy, but I am sure they will have the
greenies soon <sigh>.  It was a job change/move that caused the owners to
give them up.

Ally is feeling much better the last couple of days, her poop is looking
great for this soon after being hit with this awful bug (ECE).  She is
eating well, as long as I put her favorite food in her bowl, if I don't she
ignores it.  She drinks LOTS of Pedialyte and her eyes are bright, she is
almost to the "Okay, I'm well now mom I wanna come out and play now mom"
stage, but I will keep her confined so she does not overdo for a few more
days no matter what *she* thinks....well, maybe I could let her out for just
a little while...

Kisses to the fuzzies.

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter