From:
"Amy C. Dempsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:16:49 -0700
My ferrets love cockroaches!!  Of course here in the Caribbean the roaches
are 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.  We always say they are eating roaches on the
half shell because they don't eat the wings.  I have small drainholes along
my back gallery to allow water to runout when the rain blows in.  Of course
the roaches like to come in the holes as do some small mice and lizards.
The ferrets go from hole to hole to hole hunting!  Because of the ferrets
we don't have a bug or mice problem.  The lizards are smart and run right
up the walls and always get away.  We like the lizards anyway they keep
down the misquitos.

Do ferrets get mellower with age?  Sometimes!  Odie who just turned 9 will
tolerate you holding her for maybe 2 minutes.  She has always been
independent and always runs around like she's on important business.

Tyrone use to follow me around and always lay just out of reach.  He would
slowly move closer and closer until he would put his head on my foot or in
my lap.  If I petted him, he moved back just out of reach.  Jack reminds me
so much of Tyrone, except Jack will let you pet him, and loves to be held.
But he will not sit in your lap.

His whiteness loves to have his neck scratched and will stay in your lap
as long as you are scratching him.  Stop and he leaves.

My ferrets do seem to slow down around 6 years, but none of mine have
slowed enough to actually sit in my lap.  Maybe my lap ferret is still
waiting for me out there!

Amy and her 6 non-lap fur snakes