Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:09:51 -0400
Following the announcement of the upcoming forum on breeder issues,
several e-mails were received by the IFC indicating surprise at our
willingness to offer an option to breeders, as they perceived the IFC
to be shelter-oriented. While there are far more ferret owners and
shelter operators than breeders, it has never been the intent of the
IFC to favor one over the other.

The official purpose of the IFC is stated on the website
(http://ferretcongress.org). It reads, in part:

The International Ferret Congress is formed exclusively for charitable
and educational purposes under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal
Revenue Code, specifically as follows:

a. Enhance the welfare of the domestic ferret as a companion animal.

b. Provide ferret owners and veterinarians with access to the latest
information on ferret husbandry and health care.

c. Foster communication, cooperation and understanding between other
ferret-oriented organizations, such as clubs, shelters and breeders.

d. Provide grants to ferret-related organizations that qualify for
exempt status under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue
Code. The primary activities in pursuit of these goals shall be the
sponsorship of educational symposiums and forums. The corporation may
engage in other activities in support of these goals, in accordance
with section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.   <end quote>

As you can see, the IFC is an educational organization. As such, we
have a responsibility to the ferret community to promote learning
and opportunities to learn. This means that not all topics will be
applicable to all people. We, as individuals, do not have to agree with
everything speakers say, but we (the IFC) do have a responsibility to
present different viewpoints and occasionally that will cause some
disagreements. Our hope is that even those who disagree with presenters
can gain something from the events. The forums are intended to be small
group events of no more than 50 people who can get together and address
a specific area relating to ferrets. In the past, events have addressed
legislation, sheltering alternatives, the Black-footed ferret, animal
behavior and general ferret issues.

Those of you at the Atlanta Symposium may recall Dr. Bruce Williams'
comments to the vets in attendance: Look around you. You are surrounded
by your worst nightmare -- knowledgeable ferret owners. They are
attending the same lectures as you and they are expecting you to have
the answers. (paraphrased)

As a group, the IFC is committed to keeping you informed. We welcome
your suggestions regarding speakers, topics and locations. If a
particular presenter does not share your viewpoint, we hope that you
will come for the other information and that this may also provide an
opportunity to ask questions and share your knowledge and experiences.
As always, our Respect for Others policy will be in effect: The purpose
of this Forum is to learn and engage in constructive discussions. We
expect there may be disagreements on some issues, but we ask that
people show respect for each other and for differing viewpoints.
Anyone who cannot maintain civility will be asked to leave, and no
refunds will be issued.

Hope to see you in Pittsburgh this November!

Respectfully,
The International Ferret Congress Committee
http://www.ferretcongress.org