From:
"Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:27:47 -0800
I have a 5 y.o. female that started showing signs of insulinoma last spring.
She had a seizure occasionally.  When the weather started turning cold, the
seizures became more frequent and I began handfeeding her 3-4 times a day.
She put on weight and the seizures stopped.  I've been working 10-11 hours a
day and she will not eat her regular food anymore which means she doesn't
eat for about 11-12 hours at a time while I'm at work.  I was worried that
the seizures would start again so I decided to have surgery done on her.  My
vet opened her today but could find no tumors in her pancreas at all.  In
fact, she said all her organs looked great.  Is it possible for microscopic
tumors to cause the insulinoma signs?  (Her blood glucose was 49.) Could it
be something else all together?  Any suggestions on where to go from here?
Conversely, I had a different 5 y.o. female go in for adrenal surgery
yesterday.  My vet also found a good size pancreatic tumor, yet she had
never shown any signs of insulinoma.  Seems like ferrets don't do anything
in a "normal" way.

Cindy
DreamCatcher Ferrets