From:
Millie Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2010 09:30:04 -0800
WIth regard to how we do it here in Texas, as soon as that ferret walks
into the door, we are vacinating for distemper with Galaxie. In the 18
years I have used it, I have not had an issue althought I have had some
with those done by the vets, not sure which they used. I do give 1 cc
of bendryl 30 minutes first - vets say that doesn't do any good but its
a precaution and something is working for us. I would rather have this
distemper shot and lose the ferret than have an episode of distemper
run through the shelter. TWICE I have received one in early states
that showed no symptons til too late. I have been so lucky, out of 80
ferrets lost only 3 and they had come in so near that time, no time to
set up an immunity. Vets were amazed at this low #...........the last
time we lost two and had 4 effected that pulled out with no residual
effects probably due to having the shot enough in advance they had
mild cases.

During the time this was going on, had to shut down and not accept
ferrets or adopt out. DUring those times, people who called, I asked
them to wait 4 weeks and in the mean time to get to the vets for a
distemper shot. THose that were emergencies or came from animal
controls, we had workers who picked them up and got them to our vets
for the shots.........We ask for $20 per ferret that is turned in by
owners to help cover the expense and we waived it just for the shots.
We do rabies and distemper and microchipping on all ferrets regardless
of age or condition and this means adrenal ferrets too. Some will go
on Lupron shots because of their age, others will have surgery and
some we just don't know how long they are going to last but they all
are vacinated period............should we ever be inspected, we will
be able to show they meet law requirements.

I would shudder at the heartbreak just bringing in one ferret with
distemper and even having a quantene room, the chances of that
spreading through out is too high of a chance to avoid getting the
shots up front.

Millie and the Texas Ferret Lovers Rescue