From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:04:21 -0500
OK - there has been discussions of MF & Triple F ferrets being at pet stores
at 4-5 weeks.  I have talked with a USDA representitive and he has confirmed
with me that suppliers can supply pet stores with ferrets starting at the
age of 6 weeks and cannot sell them until 8 weeks.  So, if you susspect the
store is selling too young - call the USDA!  But make sure you know the
ferrets are that young!  People that work in pet stores sometimes don't
necessarily know the ages of the kits.  I have seen ferrets in the same pet
store that have been 6-8 weeks for months!

Kits start opening their eyes between 4 & 6 weeks.  We have had kits with
half open eyes for a week or more.  We get many "one eyed peeps", too.
Seems the larger the litter, the sooner the eyes open - not sure why this
is.  When they first start opening there eyes - everything is thought to
be food and must be tasted!