From:
MR CHARLES R ONKEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 May 1998 11:27:27 -0500
I got Cujo home last night (Friday) from Debbie Coburn who has been "baby
sitting" him since his latest surgery last Tuesday.  Dr. Shaffer operated
and found the bladder is OK, but he had a LARGE cyst on his prostate that
was squeezing the bladder.  He performed a procedure much like he did when
he rerouted Cujo's plumbing to make him a "girl".  What he did was to make
an opening in the cyst and suture it to the skin on Cujo's stomach to make
an opening for the cyst to drain.  (He said removing the cyst would not have
helped since it would more than likely just return).  I have not seen a bill
yet, but Dr. Shaffer said his operating fee would be FREE.  He felt that
since we have put so much into Cujo already, and the operation was
considered experimental and would be a learning experience for him (Dr.
Shaffer), he would only charge for medicines, gas, bio-waste disposal fees,
etc.  Now, there is a vet who cares!!!!!

Cujo is now on one-quarter tab of 20 mg baytril twice a day (yes, he felt
the FULL tab twice a day prescribed by the emergency vet was high),
one-quarter cc clavamox twice a day, and 1 cc flutamide twice a day, as
well as lisodren twice a week.  The flutamide (also known as eluxin) is a
new prostate medicine that he tracked down.  He said it is similar to
proscar for men.  Open just about any magazine and you will see an ad for
proscar.

So far, Cujo is OK.  I feed him Science Diet C/D kibble ground to dust in a
blender mixed with warm water and Science Diet C/D canned food.  He will
lick a little from a cup on his own, but then you have to scoop it out and
feed it to him from your fingers.  Spoiled?  Nah!  Not Cujo!!

When I went to pick him up last night, I was, of course, holding him and
hugging him and telling him what a good boy he is.  He just lay in my arms
for a couple of minutes and then stretched up and gave me a couple of licks
on the tip of my nose.  And you wonder why we continue to pour love and
money into him?  Like I've said before, I look at him and see a walking,
furry lap-top computer (a lap top is VERY HIGH on my list of "I WANNA HAVE
ONE!!!!  items.) But, like I told my wife, if someone showed up at the door
with a 266 pentium with a 4 meg drive, 32 megs of RAM, a modem and a cd
drive with a $5000 price tag hanging off it and offered to trade even up for
Cujo, I would politely decline and slam the door in his face.  I have never
had a computer give me a kiss.

Charlie, Ag, Donna, Cujo, Bandit, Snowball and Valentine in Kissimmee
We remember Kodo, Rocky and Spokane
Hug your fuzzies every chance you get........you never know.