From:
"Mary-Michael Scanlon (Digital MLS+, ZK03-2/X44)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:28:51 -0400
>Laura Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: litter digging

Hi Laura,

Congratulations!  You have what we refer to as an "archeologist".  I have
one ferret archeologist, Cleo, and two feline ones.  Cleo can empty a
litterbox far faster than her 1.5 lb size would ever lead you to believe.
This is a real pain in the neck, since the litterbox in their run area is on
carpet (Ah, I love the feel of litter between my bare toes, NOT!).  She gets
this really possessed look on her face, and then just digs, and digs and
digs until I run over and yell "Cleo!" when she looks up at me as if to say,
"Me?  What did I do?" I've found that if you leave a poop or two in the box,
they are less apt to spread the wealth around.

Cut down the amount of litter you use as well, ferrets don't need much, and
if perchance I overfill the box with fresh clean litter, I wind up with a
battalion of sand sharks :-), followed by the archeologist.  You can
discourage an archologist, but it's tough to break the habit.  They appear
to be wired that way.  Invest in a good dustpan and brush, and hope for the
best.

Mary-Michael & Cleo (Sahara here I come!)