Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 20:01:05 -0700
I am another very sensitive person who is deeply affected by sad posts.  I
cannot deal with any type of animal abuse, death, etc.  Since I know this
about myself, I try to avoid emotionally upsetting experiences such as sad
posts.  What I do to protect myself is this: Before reading the list, I
scan the titles for posts that look like they will be sad, and I try to
avoid those.

If this is an issue, I would suggest what I have seen done in other mail
lists and bulletin boards that deal with very touchy subjects.  This is to
label a potentially upsetting post in some manner, such as with the word
"TRIGGER" or "POSSIBLE TRIGGER".  That way, a person who is very sensitive
will know that this is a post that will potentially upset them, and can
make the choice to either read it or skip it.  Possible triggering subjects
would be things such as ferret illnesses, deaths, ferret abuse, etc.

I know this is part of life, but let's face it...if someone cares enough
about ferrets to subscribe to this list, they are going to care enough that
tales of bad things happening to ferrets may upset them very much.  I know
that I fall into that category.  When I read things, I worry about my
ferret, have nightmares, etc.  Whatever that may say about me is beside the
point...I have to protect myself, and for me that means staying away from
potentially upsetting posts.

If anyone else has comments or suggestions about how to address this issue,
I would be interested.  This is the only thing I can think of other than to
do nothing, or de-subscribe.

Love to the fuzzies!!!

Ann