From:
Dayna Frazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:47:05 EDT
Hi Everybody..

I will try to give the directions for the Woozle Warmies for Winter
Weasels... I guess from the number of letters asking about it I really
started something..  It's no big deal ..  just one of those things I 'did'
that never even had a design written down or anything..  there wasn't
anything available that met the need, so I ended up making a 'something'
that covered all the bases at once in one 'unit'..  instead of a bunch of
'somethings' that each one only did part of the job ....

the final 'Warmie' is pretty versatile in the situations it can be used
for...

so... here goes..  I sure hope I can do this so the result is design not
disaster..  :]

Outer fabric One Vellux [type] blanket..  a twin size on sale costs about
$9.00-$12.00 and makes at least 4 Warmies..

Inner fabric..  brushed flannel, man made fleece, or faux fur.  this usually
comes in very wide widths and ranges from $3.00 to $8.00 for a yard.

assembly method..
- I use 'OK to Wash It', or Beacon's 'Tack' adhesive for permanently bonding
  fabrics... One bottle [large] costs about $3.00-$4.50 and makes two to
  four Warmies, depending on the complexity of the finished design..  not
  everyone will want to add all the 'extra uses' pieces I put on mine..
- Velcro 'Dot' shaped fasteners,
- one yard of velcro strip [two pieces] if all features included
- Shoulder strap assembly of choice..  I use 1 1/2 in.  nylon webb with slide
  adjuster so I can lengthen or shorten it to fit the user of the moment...
- optional: a handful of quilting pins..   these are extra long with larger
  than normal heads on them.

My Woozle Warmie measures 18 in.  wide by 22 in long when finished..  size
is up to the person and the Woozle[s] it's made for..

(1) Cut vellux blanket in a rectangle 18 in wide and 48 inches long..  cut
inner fabric in a rectangle 15 in wide and 44 in long...
(2) lay out vellux rectangle and, using adhesive, bond the inner fabric to
the vellux outer fabric..  I lay a medium size bead of adhesive all the way
around the inner fabric-wrong side..  then spread the bead out to cover, but
not saturate, the edge..  to within about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch from the
edge..  now smear patches of adhesive in several areas [about quarter sized
splotches] to 'tack' down the inner fabric over the entire surface..
(3) place inner fabric onto vellux leaving a 1 1/2 in border along the long
edges of the vellux rectangle and leaving a 2 in border edge on each end of
the vellux rectangle..  now press and smooth the inner fabric firmly to
securely fasten the inner fabric to the vellux..  I go back and press and
smooth the bond again about an hour later to be sure it is a good tight
bond..  [note: the beacon product that is a clear tack type adhesive is very
fast..  it has acetone in it and bonds in minutes]
(4) let bond stand for several hours to a full day, depending on the type of
adhesive used and the directions for curing time..
(5) next..  apply adhesive to edges of end borders and fold ends over inner
fabric and seal bond..
(6) next..  apply adhesive along length of each side between inner fabric
edge and vellux edge within 1/8 to 1/4 in from vellux edge..  fold assembly
lengthwise and match ends and sides..  I pin the ends together to keep them
even..  then press and smooth edges together..  I use the pins to hold the
edges tightly together while they seal permanently..  the thick inner fabric
tends to pull the edges of the vellux apart before they can bond well..

If you have areas of the seam that show adhesive seeping thru the vellux you
probably will find the pins a little difficult to remove after the adhesive
dries..  but the adhesive dries clear and flexible so it's not a problem..
just 'grabs' the pins so you have to pull a little harder to remove them.
after seal has cured ..  a few hours to a day..  remove all pins..
(7) next ..  cut 8 rectangles of vellux 5x6 in in size.
(8) next..  bond two of the rectangles to the lower half of the outside of
the vellux surface on each side about 3 inches up from the bottom folded
edge..  place them equidistant from edges and each other..  BOND ONLY SIDE
AND BOTTOM EDGES OF THE 'POCKETS'... LEAVE TOP EDGE OPEN!  press and smooth
[pin if indicated] bond and let cure..
(9) next..  repeat on opposite side of vellux outside surface..
(10) next..  place 2 of the remaining 4 'pockets' as desired on upper half
of vellux outside surface on each side following the directions for bonding
and sealing the pockets already in place on the bottom half..  You should
now have four roomy pockets on each side of warmie..
(11) next..  use small amounts of adhesive to fasten velcro 'dots' inside
the upper [open] edges of the pockets..  after dry..  fasten the matching
'dots' to the main vellux surface exactly opposite the ones on the pocket
inside surfaces..  always press 'dots' firmly and repeat several times to
get a tight tough bond..  you should now have pockets that fasten closed
securely ...
(12) next..  attach 3 strips [one end only] of velcro along one edge of
Warmie equally spaced apart so they go around and securely hold a long thin
liquid container to the outer edge of outer vellux ..  I use a bottle
commonly sold in stores that contains 'spring water' that is very tall but
not very big around..  they are durable and easily replaced if damaged ...
press and pin the ends and cure adhesive well..  you should now have three
securing strips that go around the bottle and press-grip the fastened end..
(13) next..  repeat strip attachments on inside of Warmie only attach them
to inside of opposite edge... you should now have three strips that will
securely hold the bottle inside the Warmie...
(14) next ... use adhesive to attach the shoulder strap assembly [be sure to
assemble the adjustment buckle onto strap (and slide shoulder pad 'slip on'
if you wish to use one) before you bond the strap to the Warmie] to the
outside edges of the Warmie..  place the attachment bond 3 1/2 to 4 in down
from upper folded edge of vellux outer surface... press and pin strap in
place and allow adhesive to cure well...

you should now have a warmly lined soft Woozle Warmie with multiple,
closeable, outer pockets and securing straps for a fluid bottle both outside
and inside ... aequippedped with a comfortable and adjustable shoulder strap
..  that is fully washable [use gentle cycle and gentle cleaning agent] and
if the adjustment buckle for the shoulder strap is nylon or plastic, you can
put the whole Warmie in your micro-wave for a few seconds and have it germ
free as well as clean and neat.

Multiple pocket uses..  for transporting ill or injured Woozle..  [depending
on weather conditions] you can use either the disposable chemical pouches
available at stores, or the reusable units available at Medical Supply
places, to keep the Woozle inside either cool in hot weather or warm in cold
weather by dropping the appropriate devices into the pockets on the outside
of the Warmie..  The bottle can be used to either transport special liquids
like pedialyte or just plain cool fresh water..  or it can be filled with
crushed ice and be placed in the securing straps inside the Warmie to keep
the interior very very cool..  the ice bottle on the inside can be a life
saver if your car breaks down [air conditioning won't work] in very hot
weather ...

the Warmie can be a 'thaw out between play times' place for snow loving
Woozles..  or a 'cool off between romps' place for summer park playing
Woozles...

If temperature adjusting packs are not needed in the pockets, the pockets
can be used for zip locks of food, packages of treats, toy storage, medicine
storage, wallet and??  storage for Woozle Parents... or any number of other
uses...

a warm soft blankie can be included as an accessory inside the Warmie... and
additional fasteners can be added along inside edges of Warmie top opening
if confining your Woozle to the Warmie is a desired feature..

decorations, colour selection, and many other useful attachments are at the
discretion of the Woozle Warmie for Winter Weasels creator..

well..  there it is..  If I have left out something or some part of these
directions is unclear..  please feel free to e-mail me directly, or post
your questions ..  OK???

Happy Ferreting..  dayna and the Woozles  :]

 "Resident of... Marvelous Menagerie Of Mirthful Mayhem"
 dayna frazier  102046,3162  30-Sep-1996  18:49:46 PST