From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 1997 05:12:10 -0400
>From:    Sterling Killian <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Losing the point in Profit
>I dont think Marshall Farms would bankrupt itself in the process of changing
>its practices.  No one is asking for a complete renovation of the way they
>do business.  We are asking that the curtail their practices that are a
>little less than palatable and unnecessary.

Yes, yes, yes!  This is the point exactly and what some refuse to accept.
Sterling, once again you've hit the nail on the head.  While some may treat
Marshall as if it were a sacred cow, or some fragile Ming Dynasty vase, it
is a business.  And businesses often change their ways of operation,
sometimes for intrinsic motivations and other times, for extrinsic ones.
Either way, after all the whining is over, businesses survive and in fact
thrive IF they were based on a sound and wise platform.  Interestingly, this
adaptability is a sign of good mental health as it is good business!

Your posts continue to be most precise.

>The $60 figure came from A-X.  He is elusive with details so we don't know
>where he got that figure.

Gee, sorry for any confusion, but I understand completely.  I believe
another recent post articulated this price even further to include shipping
which brought the price to around 87 bucks or die, not 60.  Seem fair to
you?  BTW, your prior argument characterized some people involved as
storming off.  That did not come from me.  Somehow, I don't think Pam Grant
stormed off.  The calmness of her posts appear contrary to that.  I, on the
other hand, have been known to "storm off".  But know this, I always return.

>Good news about Deja...
>As for the rest.  You do not seem interested in what we actually say and
>are just lifting bits out of context and twisting words.  No more.

Thanks, two out of three ain't bad. :-)  My concerns are with MF, not you.
I said that from the very, very, beginning.  The rest is history.  When an
argument puts itself between the questions and the answers, it should be no
surprise as to the reaction you complain of.  Perhaps this is a learning
experience for all of us.  I know it has been very enlightening for me, and
others FMLer's too.

Other arguments, on both sides, have brought new information and in some
cases, shared experiences, from data to recollection to new questions and
issues.  The arguments you presented just sorta got in the way.

I am hard pressed to remember one bit of NEW information your arguments have
brought to the table concerning MF.  As for those actually involved, I've
had no problem with communicating with them so far, and they have been very
helpful and have not objected to my questions, and my arguments reflect this
new exchange.

For example:
1. More specifics of the 1995/6 talks which ended without many positive
   results.  Still, those that participated should be commended for their
   efforts.
2. MF policies concerning retired breeders.
3. The ads for laboratory ferrets. People deserve the right to know
   these things.
4. The actual details of the MF booklet, which offers little help for
   ferrets.
5. New conversations with Paul Reid (courtesy of Melissa L.)
6. More possible MF links to a shorter life span and adrenal and lymph
   disorders(this is old AND new, but new reports and shared stories and
   observations help continue to push for an investigation)
   6a. Another survey begun.
7. A confirmation of MF's "monitoring" of the FML. * Hi Paul :-)
8. Reports of MF's shipping kits at less than six weeks of age (courtesy
   of a large Pet Store chain).
9. And a whole lot more....to come

There is some old stuff, that's history, but also some new information.

I believe by your second post words like "gadflies" and "mongerers" were
used to characterize those expressing deep concern over Marshall's
practices.  These were addressed at people, fellow FMLer's and ferret
lovers, not arguments.  And that was only the beginning.  This is clearly
not a constructive style.  Perhaps the word "manipulating" comes to your
mind for an entirely different reason than the one you associate it with.

Hope this helps clear things up for all concerned.

FOR KODO AND ALL THE FERRETS WITH NO NAMES
best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi(or A-X for those keyboard challenged)