From:
William Killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 03:00:57 -0400
>From:    "Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Show entry limits
>>Regarding show entry limits, Bill and Diane wrote,
>>Please write to us off list.  We would very much like to talk to you
>>about this."

>Actually, I'd like to see this discussion continue on list.

Actually we would like people to contact us off list for our own reasons.

At this point it is not an FML topic, its one that we want to talk to
people about elsewhere.

If curious write to us off list.

>From:    Pat Stauffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: breeding/shelters/unusual colors
>I thought we were trying to steer away from breeding "for" color.  Not
>trying for unusual ones.  Breeding for color is something that has ruined
>more species of animals.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with breeding for color.  There is only
something wrong with breeding exclusively for color.  Balance is important.

Sally Heber is well known to breed for (AFA standard) black sables.
Vickie McKimmey breeds now for (AFA standard) black mitts.  We breed for
fine points.

BUT if we only bred for that trait and ignored structural issues that
would be a problem.

Your own evidence points out not where dogs were bred for color but where
they were bred exclusively for color.

>The question here is do we really need to continue to breed ferrets
>in such great numbers?

This is a valid issue.  We strongly believe that all who breed ferrets
owe it to the species to give back to the ferrets by also doing rescue
work.  We do not do a whole lot of rescue work but the community of
Virginia shelters knows that they can rely on us.  We don't do a lot
of breeding but still feel it is our obligation.

>From:    Tanya Grave <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: STOP IT ALREADY!
>In my opinion showing is it's own form of animal abuse and simply an
>owners own ego.

You have a right to that opinion.  But as it is only an opinion and not
universally shared please allow those of us who recognize the good that
comes from the ferret fancy to continue to discuss ferret related topics
that do interest us.

>I find it to be a conflict of interest when a rescue/shelter also
>participates in breeding.

As we stated we have an entirely different point of view.

Also consider us rightfully indignant that you choose to call us animal
abusers.  That is far more of a flame than has been used in the threads
on the ferrets moved from Oregon to Tennessee.  THe discussion that you
lightly dismiss as about standards was not just about standards.  A whole
male ferret should be the most muscular due to the nature of the species
not a standard.  The discussion about whole ferrets with less muscle mass
than a 5 year old early altered ferret (which happens to be where due to
nature you would expect to find the least muscular ferrets) is thus not
a trifle about standards but a serious topic of concern.  That is a sign
of what could be considered neglectful husbandry.  Taking your ferrets
as an excuse to get together with friends with a common interest (a fair
description of many ferret shows) and contorting that into abuse is rather
unfair in our opinion.

When the list owner decides a topic is not right for this list than we
will agree not to discuss it.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets