Date:
Sun, 17 Apr 2005 17:00:20 -0700
On April 6th, I started some of my adrenal kids on the powder form of
melatonin (from a 3mg capsule - 1mg going to each ferret) and I am
curious about some issues that have developed in some of the kids.
Joni, a three year old female, who was totally bald, she had two seperate
adrenal surgeries (both removed), very swollen vulva and the body
features of an adrenal ferret.  A week after giving her melatonin, she
started to go down hill.  Her skin got red hickey looking splotches all
over, and her vulva grew to an even larger size.  She stopped urinating
and having bowl movements and as a result, we helped her to the bridge
this past Friday.  Another case is Rusty.  Rusty has some other health
issues besides being adrenal and he is not a good candidate for surgery,
so I also put him on the melatonin to see how helpful it would be.  The
hair grew back on his tail, he stopped ear sucking and his fur looks and
feels so much better, I questioned whether I should continue with
melatonin therapy and thought I should stop giving it to him, after just
one day of not having it, he started ear sucking and acting in the
aggressive way adrenal males are known to act.

Another case is Blade.  Blade is not adrenal, but has other health issues
that keeps him from being adoptable.  I wanted to see if it would have a
positive result (if any results) so I started him on it as well.  Last
night, his bg was 31, he was week, staggering all over the place and
overall, not a happy camper.  Blades normal health issues consisted of
anorexia periodically and poor liver functions from the anorexia.  Is it
possible that melatonin played a negative part in Joni and Blades health?
Has there been any studies done on the possible side effects or whether
it can be actually harmful?  I am afraid now to continue with the
melatonin therapy and the vets in my area still don't know very much
about the therapy.

Lori