From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:09:54 -0400
I am a bit concerned that if it continues that all of the flap about two
people getting confused about the FML Calendar and the wonderful people
of Support Our Shelters might distract from two important things:

1. The calendar photo contest itself (which benefits ferret shelters)
   and
2. The need to band together for the FML 5000th Issue drive (only 58
issues to go).  The final choices of where people will contribute for
this drive will be Bill Gruber's since he is the one who honors us each
day with his hard work to get out the FML.  (Did you know that despite
its large number of members and its incredibly long life (since Dec 21,
1987) the FML has had only two moderators, and Bill Gruber has been the
moderator for much longer than the founder, Chris Lewis was?)

Pretty much everyone here knows how wonderful Judy is, and pretty much
everyone here knows of the incredible work of the SOS through the years.
Anyone with any exposure to them knows that both are marvelous and
constructive.

Most of the new FML people took the logical course of just quietly
learning by reading the discussion which speaks well for them as positive
additions to our population.  Meanwhile, let's face it: unless we see a
lot of repeats over time we can all cope with the idea that the two new
people who made assumptions ONCE and unpleasant comments based on those
assumptions ONCE simply could have been having a bad week and not
thinking as clearly as they'd like a result.  Their own actions will tell
over time.  How many of us have not made goofs here, or made out and out
errors, or put our feet in our mouths?  Not one of us.  We have all made
mistakes -- some of them whoppers.  Everyone who has communicated
publicly or privately has been wrong at times, and it is just mature to
admit it.  Heck, as the only FML member who has been here continuously
from the start I've had more chance to goof than most... How one handles
one's own errors is one of the things which shows if the person is a
class act or not since goofing is just a very human thing to do.  (You'd
think that with so many of us humans -- all of us -- personally knowing
the handicap of hopping around with a foot in mouth so often that more
able-bodied people would be good about not sitting in the portion of the
movie theater which is designed to give needed extra leg room to people
in braces and casts, wouldn't you?  Arrgghhh!)

So: DO YOU HAVE SOME WONDERFUL PHOTOS OF YOUR FERRETS?  THE FML CALENDAR
COULD USE THEM!  Yes, there is a small entrance fee to join the contest,
but no, you do not need to learn a talent -- not singing, not baton
twirling, not clog dancing, nor how to play water glasses, you do not
need to wear a swim suit, you have no need to go out and buy an evening
gown.  All that you need to do is to submit the physical photograph and
pay a small submission fee.  If the photo is in digital format there are
places that host digital photos which also will print out copies for you,
and I am sure loads of other places could also do it.  This is not
something I know much about -- okay, I know squat about it to be honest
-- but others here know and have shared such tips and i am sure will
share such tips again.  WHEN YOU HELP THE FML CALENDAR AND BUY THE FML
CALENDAR YOU BENEFIT FERRET SHELTERS!

Now, don't get me wrong, if you want to parade around in an evening
gown or bathing suit twirling batons and singing "I love, I love, I
love my Calendar Girl, Yeah, my Calendar Girl, I love, I love, I love
my Calendar Girl -- each and every day of the year!"* to get ferret
folks participating in these drives, that is your choice and if it
helps, then, "Hey thanks!" But you don't have to.  This contest is
lot easier to participate in.

Let's be careful to not get distracted for too long due to the temporary
unpleasant public confusion of two people who may take constructive
actions with what they know now once this dies down; we're all needed to
make SOS drives a success!

*If you don't know the song just go to itunes and listen to the Neil
Sedaka version of "Calendar Girl" for what I think is the original (or
at least the one that all over the radio when i was much younger).  (I
am not sure that the Stars, Paypa Chasaz, OV7, or Yazbek songs of same
and similar names would work for this contest though at least one has a
beat that would be fun to see baton twirling to...)

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org