From:
"Donahue, Suzanna C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:33:44 -0500
I have done a decent amount of research on this (although not an
exhaustive amount).  There is one place that I know of that will make a
serum for you.  You will need a prescription from your allergist.  You
might even have to send ferret fur/hair to the company.  I do not know how
much they will need.  The company that will make the serum for you is a
compounding pharmacy called College Pharmacy.  You can get more
information at www.collegepharmacy.com

Here's the problem I have encountered.  Pharmacies are not obligated to
follow FDA-approved methods to make medications.  My allergist will not
even consider giving me a medication that is not made by an FDA-licensed
laboratory following FDA-approved methods.  In fact, none of my current
doctors are willing to assist me with this due to malpractice issues --
not even my family doctor.  Labs *used* to make specialized serums for
people, but they found it to be "cost-prohibitive" and have gotten out of
that business.  I was so close to getting the serum made through an
FDA-licensed lab, but the president of the company vetoed the idea.

There is one allergist, in Ohio, that uses the College Pharmacy.  When I
talked to her last, she mentioned that there is a difference between ear,
nose, and throat allergists and the other kind of allergist (I'd guess
you'd call them a traditional medicine allergist).  Seems that the ear,
nose, and throat allergists are more open minded when it comes to
treatment.

Something for you to keep in mind: If it's not FDA-approved or
FDA-licensed, there might be contaminants in the serum, or other things
that might cause harm to you and your health.  I have contacted people at
the lab and the pharmacy.  The chemist at the lab stongly cautioned me
about injecting a non-FDA-approved serum into my body.  Their lab has
very strict standards to abide by, whereas the pharmacy has less, if any.
The representative at the pharmacy was not forthcoming regarding their
procedures to ensure product quality and sterility.  However, I am willing
to take the risk, and am in search of a doctor closer to me that would be
willing to assist me in this matter.  Ohio is just too far to drive.  I
strongly suggest that you research the risks involved, so that you can
determine whether it's a risk you are willing to take...

I would also like to add that there is someone on this list who has been
using the College Pharmacy ferret serum, and has had good results with it.
Hopefully, I will have the same luck, if I can find someone to help.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me at

Suzanna Donahue