From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 1991 16:18:08 -0400
Here is some random news (we've been very busy for some time and
haven't been keeping up with the mailing list).  The most important
are the results we've been getting with Fritter - our ferret with
cancer.

[Hi.  Have you heard from Shu-ju at all?  Her machine went unknown
a year or more ago, and haven't heard a thing since]

Fritter,  who  is  6  1/2  years  old  is   being   treated   for
lymphosarcoma  with  tumor  on  spleen  and pancreas and enlarged
spleen (dramatically  improved  since  predisone)  with  possible
insulinoma  (a tumor which produces insulin and crashes the blood
sugar) as well.   She  can  not  be  stabilized  well  enough  to
consider  surgery  because  of  drops  in blood sugar.  Her first
symptoms included blood sugar dropping which resulted  in  severe
convulsions requiring resusitation 3 times, with very red and hot
front paws and  no  urinary  incontinence,  dramatically  swollen
lymph  nodes  (especially  of  throat),  some  hair loss on tail,
slight tiredness, and a slightly enlarged vulva.  Problems  began
during the first week of May (almost 9 weeks ago) but exotics vet
we had then did not know how to handle it and advised putting her
down.

Treatments:  Prednisone (given as Prelone Syrup mixed with  about
1  Tbsp  of  Nutrical)  2/3  ml once daily.  Another dosage being
tested elsewhere, also with good results is 1/4 ml twice  a  day.
Must  be  given with food.  This is now recommended treatment for
lymphosarcoma and for insulinoma.

Control of blood sugar crashing:  Nutrical (which  also  supplies
extra nutrients and calories very badly needed with cancer) given
both from tube and mixed into water as soup left handy 24 hours a
day,  assorted fruits left handy all day and night, other sweets.
Some ferrets do not monitor their own blood sugar well and  those
get  5 mg 2/day of proglycem.  Frit is able to time her own sugar
consumption, down now to needing sugar usually only every 3 hours
since prednisone makes insulin less effective.

Problems with Reduced Resistance to  Disease:   Like  folks  with
cancer  Frit easy catches things.  So far, she has had 2 viruses.
We quickly got her on antibiotics to prevent secondary  bacterial
infections  and  controlled  the  diarrhea  with thick rice water
(cook rice -- preferably short grain which  is  starchier--  with
too  much water till you get a pasty fluid when you put it trough
a strainer) mixed with Nutrical.  (Yes, she's going through a LOT
of  Nutrical,  which turns out to NOT be a bad thing for a ferret
with cancer.  In fact, vet says Nutrical seems  to  be  a  pretty
safe  nutitional  aid for ferrets, but could you ever imagine one
in normal health needing as much as 3 tubes a week?  Still, it IS
working  and  you  can't argue with survival in an animal who was
thought  to  be  doomed,  but  is  now  having  her  appointments
scheduled  2  months  apart.   Thanks  VERY,  VERY  much to Nancy
Hartman who has saved us about $40 a  month  on  Frit's  care  by
telling us about J&B Wholesale Pet Supplies (1-800-526-0388).

Additional Problems:  For whatever reason  Fritter's  ticker  has
been  having  problems  with dropped beats and flutters with this
illness.  Those problems have also reduced  dramatically  on  the
medication.

One thing we plan to do is test our  others  for  anti-bodies  to
Aleutian  Disease,  since  Frit  is our second with lymphosarcoma
(Helix was 4 years ago)  and  since  Hjalmar  has  a  chronically
larger  than  normal  spleen,  tendencies  toward  these problems
increase with exposure to Aleutian.  If positive we will not  add
any  ferrets  until  our  4 pass away (hopefully many, many years
from now) naturally, and will then sterilize everything.

[What is Aleutian disease?]

Non-related stuff:  Path Valley farms  spays  their  females  the
same way my gynecologist did me, but their incisions are vertical
along the midline so  they  disappear  on  ferrets.   Has  anyone
REALLY  done  a  study to show if animals altered at a higher age
live longer?  I've searched for such a  study  without  luck  and
wonder if it may be more casual observation which needs study.
    The animal medical center in  Colorado  may  not  get  enough
money  to  study  rabies  shedding time in ferrets.  If not, they
will possibly have enough money to study cancers, nutrition,  and
other  essential  topics  IF clubs and individuals DO NOT specify
that the moneys can only be used  for  rabies  shedding  studies.
When  that  happens they have to return the cash.  This is not to
say that shedding time is not important (though the other studies
may  save  more  lives),  largely because people panic with false
reporting about ferrets and because of rabies epidemics, all I am
saying  is  that  you  may not want to make your contribution (We
give in the 3 figures each year; can't ferret owners  in  general
spare  $1 or more?) applicable to only shedding studies, but will
want to specify the ferret fund.

The Black Footed Ferret Fund is starting  a  trial  reinstatement
this year.  To overcome opposition the ferrets in that particular
small area had to be down graded in status from  endangered.   We
aren't  keen  on  that,  but  it  has  worked  to  ease  in other
reinstatement projects in the past and may be the  only  possible
compromise.   There  are  a  lot of kits this year and successful
lighting techniques have been developed to  extend  the  possible
years  of breeding (snychronization is a problem with animals not
in peak breeding years).

Re:  tail  hair  loss:   There  are  many  possible  causes  from
cancers,  to non-cancerous tumors, to diet, to parasites (such as
ear mites which like the tail almost  as  much  as  the  ears  in
ferrets),  to  plain old dry skin.  Eliminate the serious causes,
look for parasites, and consider adding  some  SATURATED  fat  to
ferret's diet if other causes aren't there (butter, NOT margarine
works well) and moisturizing with things like  citrus  oil  spray
(Eco-safe products, PO Box 1177, St. Augustine, FL 32085).

Sukie, Steve, Fritter, Hjalmar, Meltdown and Ruffle Crandall