From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 14:00:19 EDT
I understand that you hope that if this Petco stops buying MF kits, that
it will send a "message" to MF so to speak.  But I think that is not the
root of the problem.  Most distributors (large farm breeders) are sending
out kits too early to compete with each other.  If one farm sends them out
at a more reasonable age, they can't compete with others that are sending
out younger more "cute" kits.  They have tried.

If I had my choice between a MF kit that is way too young and any other
major ferret farms kit that is way too young, I'd choose MF hands down.
Sorry.  I've had less problems with undersized or underaged MF kits that
have come in than with other farms kits that have come in the same way.
I really don't want' to go into why.  I'd rather say what I really meant
to say here and cut to the chase.

I think Alicia D has the right idea.  She launched the new law in her
state that petstores/breeders could not sell kits under 8 weeks of age.
She has tackled this problem at the very base root.  It's very difficult
to deal with large business's, especially if there is a complex thing
going on with competition.  I think the way to do it is the way she did.
If you make it a flat out law to not send out ferrets too young, then
its much easier for the breeders to comply, and they won't have the
competition to worry about.  It also sends a moral message to them in
black and white, in my opinion.

Wolfy

Please visit:
http://www.geocities.com/wolfysluv/