From:
Tracy Jose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:51:45 -0500
>From:    "Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: please advise re: introduction
>Trixie tried to snuggle up to Charlotte and sleep with her today- Char
>would have none of that!  Charlotte is less aggressive and we are only
>using positive reinforcement now to discourage serious scrapping.
>Charlotte chases Trixie and still scruffs her at times, but it is less
>frequent and less forceful.  Although it isn't as difficult between them,
>there aren't any signs of Charlotte's heart softening toward Trixie.
>
>However, I worry this is simply too stressful for Char.  Her stools are
>runny and today she didn't eat as much as usual-- (but of course she still
>wants treats.) She hasn't made any friendly moves toward Trixie, just a
>decrease in aggressive behavior.  The point was to get Charlotte a buddy
>and I'm worried it isn't turning around the way it should.

Paula,

Don't give up, this is why.....

I have six ferrets and each one of them came from different shelters,
situations and ages.  Introductions are always a bit un-nerving.  When I
rescued my Spunky from an abusive/neglectful situation, I brought her into
my home and had a cage for her all to herself (I had four others at the
time).  She got used to her surroundings and then I tried to introduce her
to my four.  Well, they all tried to practically "kill" her!  She had been
an only fert all the four years of her life and was terrified of them and
still is - so the intro thing did not work for her.  Some ferts will always
just remain on their own and are happy that way.

But, I just also recently adopted another fert, Leah, 4 years old, who was
also an only fert all her life.  When I brought her home, I thought, what a
great companion for my Spunky since they both had been only ferts, and both
are very calm and laid-back.  The intro at first was typical...lots of
hissing, scruffing, etc.  Leah slipped into a depression because she missed
her home and she hardly would eat and when she did, she would grind her
teeth...a sign of ulcers or upset stomach and lost half her weight.  The
vet checked her out and said she did have ulcers and was trying to adapt
to her new situation.  Leah had to be on three different meds, which she
absolutely hated, for about a month.  She finally turned around and started
getting better.  She also was getting used to her surroundings and I just
let her take her time checking things out and checking Spunky out slowly.

She is now very happy with Spunky and Spunky adores her also.  They play
together, sleep together and look for each other when one is off somewhere
else sleeping and will crawl next to them and fall asleep.  Yes, Leah did
get stressed out....she was in a new home, introduced to a new fert and
just needed to take as much time as she needed on her own to get used to
everything.  It took a couple of months before they actually accepted each
other totally and now they are very happy together.

So, don't give up...keep slowly trying, but don't push them either.
Charlotte is chasing Trixie and scruffing her to let her know that she is
queen of the house right now, alpha ferret.  But, they will eventually work
it out and will accept each other.  It doesn't matter that Trixie is
younger than Charlotte....I have others that were much younger than my
others and they get along just fine.  Good luck and keep us posted on how
they are doing.  p.s.  A couple of times I placed a couple of drops of
Ferretone around Leah's neck to let Spunky lick it off and Leah found it
kind of soothing that Spunky was "grooming" her and not attacking her. :-)

Tracy Jose
Tango, Chico, Roo, Pepe', Spunky & Leah