Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:22:43 -0400
A University of Pittsburgh veterinarian, Dr. Robert Wagner has had many
experiences related to his work there. He also has a small private
practice in Pennsylvania. The father of a 10 year old daughter who has
daddy wrapped around little finger, Dr. Wagner is quite versatile.
While she likes baton, gymnastics, and horseback riding, he prefers
to play hockey -- or watch the Steelers and Penguins. As a volunteer
for the wildlife rehab center he performs disease surveillance and
translocation. He has also volunteered at the Pittsburgh Zoo and with
the World Wildlife Fund (WWF), providing an opportunity to work with
Howler monkeys in Belize - a "fun and memorable experience." He also
enjoys biking and skiing, but loves trout fishing.

Like many other vets, he was presented his first ferret by owners who
left it instead of paying for its care. Realizing that "these animals
needed care and very few people were giving" it, Dr. Wagner decided
to work with exotic animals. He also started doing clinical research,
particularly in the area of adrenal disease. Several years ago he did
some thyroid level work. "The problem is that thyroid stimulating
hormone (TSH) assays not available because they were taken off the
market."

Since he started his practice, Dr. Wagner has been called upon for some
pretty weird stuff. While it is true that many ferret owners lose the
occasional ferret in the home, not all do so in the walls. When that
happens it helps to have a friend with a stethoscope and heat sensor.
Dr. Wagner used his to help a friend locate his ferret, then cut a
hole in the wall to get him out!

Although he denies having a hero or heroine, Dr. Wagner does admit to
admiring "specific qualities in individuals," especially "a really
strong character trait or quality. I get a lot of pleasure out of my
family and friends." But, if he could spend time with someone, it might
be a visit with Fidel Castro. "In his earlier years (Castro) was great,
but things changed."

This very interesting man would like to be remembered as a "very good
vet who helped as many animals as I can. That's why I went into exotic
animal care; I think that vets can give very good care to animals at a
reasonable cost. We need to get owners to be trained and interactive."
Join us at the Symposium to meet this wonderful vet and hear what he
has to teach us!

And, although Dr. Wagner said, "I like to remain anonymous," you can
reach him at:
Fox Chapel Animal Hospital
1152 Freeport Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15238
(412) 781-6446

--
renee :)
It's amazing how much can be accomplished if nobody cares who gets the