Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2008 10:14:06 +0000
Over and over again I'm reading these PETA bashing comments. As a PETA
member for nearly 20 years now, it's getting a bit old. It's pretty
libelous to imply that the animal abuse videos on their site are
"staged". And how are anti-fur pamphlets "propaganda"? Because that's
what they were handing out to mink coat/stole wearing patrons at the
Nutcracker. That's wrong? Are you typing this wearing a ferret coat?

I keep hearing people claiming that PETA doesn't want people to have
pets. If that's the case, why do they have books and webpages about
proper pet care? Why do they put stuff like "How to give your cat a
massage" in their PETA magazine? PETA's attitude is that pets should be
treated like members of the family - which is why they refer to them as
"animal companions" and not "pets".

And as for PETA wanting to ban the breeding of dogs and cats - at least
for awhile until all the shelter animals find homes - what's wrong
with that? Do you think it's ok that backyard breeders are creating
Maltipoos and Labradoodles and Shorkies while perfectly loving, sweet
animals are euthanized every day? And do we really need more and more
litters of cocker spaniels, for example, when there's Cocker rescue
groups around the country trying to find puppies and dogs homes?

I'm not sure where this hatred stems from. Perhaps instead of just
posting a senseless rant with no basis one should instead take the time
and do a bit of research. Or instead do more useful things with their
time - like shelter volunteering like I do. Pretty sad that such hatred
is directed towards an organization that has done so much to help
animals.

Laura

[Moderator's note: Laura, you are correct that general PETA comments
are not appropriate. They were allowed lately since they pertained to
a PETA film about a ferret distributor, but perhaps the topic began to
stray away from ferrets. In that spirit, I ask that comments about this
post be sent directly to Laura, not to the FML, unelss, of course, it
is pertinent to ferrets. BIG]