From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 1996 18:21:58 -0400
Fellow FMLers may recall the tale of unexpected rescue foray a few weeks ago.

And now we can report a (Very!) happy ending!

That little fuzzy rescued from a garage in suburbia has now been adopted by
yours truly, the 'rescuer'!  After about three weeks in shelter and
quarantine to make sure she was as healthy as possible, we brought her home
to our other two Little Ones and now we are back to our 'quorum' of three!

We have named her Rowena, and she got along instantly with our other two
fuzzy ones: William and Winona.  Not even a bottle-brush tail was seen!
Nevertheless, after a day or two, we did have a little 24 hour scare with
(we now believe) stress-related diarrhea, esp.  with Winona.  (Maybe we
tried to change everybunny over to new food too fast, also!  We now have on
hand all the ingredients for Duck Soup, and Kaopectate and Pepto-'Abysmal,'
etc., and we thank Sharon B. and Dick B. for their support and advice to
an anxious ferret mommy over the phone!)

So now we have a happy little fuzzy trio (a.k.a.  'Willie,' 'Nahnee,' and
'Weena'), and we often find them curled up all three together in their
favorite sleepy-place, under the bottom dresser drawer (too cute!).

Rowena is relatively tiny, and ever so soft and lovely, with a very sweet,
not nippy at all (if slightly squirmy) temperament.  Lorraine D., who
sheltered Rowena discovered that she comes 'flying' to a special squeeky toy
sound, so we bought one just like it on the way home, and we're encouraging
Rowena to keep that behavior (!) and using it to help train our other two
ferts to now come RIGHT AWAY to that special squeeky sound, 'just in case'!

BY THE WAY / JUST FOR FUN
Has anyone ever compiled a list of all the 'alternative' names people use
for the fuzzies?!  I know that during the bad, old FFZ days we often
referred to ours in 'code' names such as 'f-animals,' 'kitties,' 'bunnies'
or 'funny-bunnies,' etc.  Aside from these, here are some of the ones we
know of or have invented ourselves:

Ferts, fuzzies, fuzzbutts, warmfuzzies, carpet snakes, weasels, woozles,
fretties (as in 'Fretchen,' which is German for Ferret), whatties (this
because every time we went to the vet, the first word out of the other
people's mouths in the waiting room was always 'WHAT' (as in 'what is
that?')), fur-birdies, slinkies, kids (or fur-kids), babies (or fur-babies),
tube-pups, etc.  Anyone care to pull together a collection?

[Moderator's note: Bob Church has already done it!  Ask the server for
FERRET NICKNAME and have some laughs!  BIG]