From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:10:48 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922&messageid=778

At this point, rather than go from empiric therapy to empiric therapy,
hoping that one works, it may be helpful to biopsy the skin in these
areas to see if a definitive diagnosis can be made (which often leads to
a definitive treatment.  The problem with these types of disease is that
the diagnostic lesion rarely lasts more than minutes or hours, before the
ferret scratches at it and traumatizes the site, leaving you with a scab,
but little of the original lesion.

These are often a tricky problem.

Generally, before I give alternate day steroids, I generally start with a
daily dose until signs lessen, then I may back off.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams DVM