From:
bill and diane killian - zen and the art of ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:27:17 -0800
>From:    Karri Knutson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: questions about my 11 month old Hob

Sounds like he indeed is in rut.  You might have to seperate him while in
rut, or neuter him.

Your vet can clean all of that off his teeth.  It would be a very good
idea.  Some ferrets teeth just get dirtier than others.

>From:    Julie Dowdy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Random ferret questions
>Do ferret litters have `runts'?

Sometimes.  But they aren't always small and sickly their whole lives.
The jills will often set aside some they choose not to care for.
Sometimes you can save them.  Sometimes you can't.  But some ferrets are
just smaller than others.

>Cinnamon colored ferrets: are they just a `Oh, it came out this color' or
>do you have to specifically breed for colors?

The BEST breeders watch the colors.  Way too much of the American ferret
population has the Waardenburg gene in it over some not being willing to
pay attention to color.

Cinnamon is really champagne.  A heterozygous albino/full color and a
homozygous chocolate.  This is also called a dilution of chocolate.

>Ferret nipples: [...] Why are they there on males?

All mammals have nipples.  It has to do with when sexual differentiation
takes place pre-natally in relationship to other development.

diane and bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets