From:
Lonny Eachus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:29:54 -0700
I think it is fair to say that dooking is one sign of excitement in
ferrets, but exactly what KIND of excitement it represents is a bit
more tenuous. Remember that play is often little more than practice
of predatory behavior. Also that ferrets seem to be a bit more
individualistic in their behaviors than many other familiar creatures.

And maybe even he IS playing, in a way, and finds this to be fun.

It's pretty hard to say from the outside.

The ferret who is with me now, Fred, sometimes shows a bottle-brush
tail when he is afraid, but also sometimes when he's having adventurous
fun. To be honest, it's a bit hard to separate the two. For ferrets,
maybe they are close to the same thing. And he most often dooks during
"predatory" play, for example when he's chasing his mouse, and
especially when he's caught it, and wants to fight for it:
http://postimage.org/image/rvbbkjezd/

Warning: This is Fred's favorite toy of all, but if you make such a
thing, do NOT use monofilament fishing line. Too much danger of
accidents or injury. I used large-diameter woven fishing line, which is
really much more like string, but tough. If it were monofilament line,
you probably would not even be able to see it in this low-res picture.

Also, tip: The plain stuffed mouse was just not heavy enough to cast.
I had to cut it open and add a piece of heavy but soft rubber, and
sew it back up, in order for it to cast. That's why it's called
"Frankenmouse". My stitching was less than elegant.

Lonny Eachus