Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 1996 19:08:11 -0700
Scott FMLed:

>I wasn't quite prepared for the barage of little kids that surrounded us
>all day long.  The all wanted to pet them (Rex and Miles) and some got to
>hold them.

I sure don't mean to throw cold water on the fire, but it seems that many
are still unaware of public health's "kill & test" policy in ferret bite
cases.  A few areas - thanks to some hard working folks - have established
quarantine periods, but these havens are few and far between.  The scenario
Scott describes above is *exactly* how new ferret owners get themselves into
trouble.

People are fearful of rabies, and ferrets/rabies in particular.  So far this
year we've already seen 9 ferrets killed only to test negative in MI, NJ,
NC, and FL, and that's merely what I can recall from FML posts.  (Note: one
FL ferret showed positive postmortem).  Currently, the test used to obtain a
conclusive negative result requires euthanizing the ferrets in question.
Unless you're absolutely certain that your ferret won't bite, it is wiser
not to let strangers do any handling.  Sometimes, all it takes is the
suspicion of a bite for the child's parents to call the authorities, and at
that point your odds of saving poor Slinky are long, long, long.  Sorry to
be such a wet blanket, but it's better than having to say "I told you so"
after the fact.  Be careful.

Which of course brings up the subject of the Morris Fund.  I've heard that
the raccoon strain is next - maybe the FL "incident" had something to do
with the choice - and that they are short on funds to begin the study.  You
may have read posts here to the effect that if everybody were to give $1 for
each ferret in their family, we'd raise more than enough money to complete
the series of studies?  Since FMLers are held to higher standards (at least
it's nice to think so) I'll pitch $10/ferret and $1 for each time I've
mentioned my ferrets' names on the FML.  Going over past FML posts, I've
mentioned my 3 guys 17 times, (3 x $10) + (17 x $1) $47.  Oh heck, their
names are Woody, Mike, and Lucky for an even $50.  That's all I can
prudently afford anyway.

A while back someone wrote that $100 was the minimum donation, but they
cashed a check for substantially less than that back in March.  ???  If
anyone knows more on this do tell.

Morris Animal Foundation / Ferret Shed Study
45 Inverness Drive East
Englewood, CO 80112-5480

Be sure to include "Ferret Shed Study" in the memo section of your check.

swamp