From:
Lisa M Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2001 06:08:44 -0400
Hi to everyone.  My love to all of the fuzzies out there and to anyone
who's hurting.  It's been a long time since I posted.  Lately I've been
so busy.  But, right now, I'm in desperate need of some help and advice.

Casper has been SO sick for the last week.  He started having mild diarrhea
about two weeks ago (just really soft stool).  For him that is nothing
unusual, he has a food allergy and over the last six months I have been
trying to get him completely off of his old food, but once I completely
remove it he gets VERY upset with me.

Last Wednesday his diarrhea turned to "water".  I tried Pepto for a day and
it did nothing.  The next morning he also vomited (one spell).  So, off to
the vet we went.  She examined him, everything except the x-ray - he was
feeling too well for that.  What she found was Coccidia and a bad bacterial
infection.  We have NO idea how/when/why he got Coccidia, though it's
suppose to be only a mild case.  She put him on Albon once a day and a
"Pepto for ferrets" every 6-8 hours.  He isn't getting any better.  I have
been feeding him duck soup because he stopped eating (last week).  All he
is doing is sleeping.  When he has pooped his stool is still very liquidy
and he hasn't even pooped since yesterday morning/afternoon.

I am taking him in for a "hospital" day today, but I had to reach out to
see if anyone else has gone through something like this and what was wrong
and what was done.  I know that there are a few vet people out there -
advice/ideas?

I lost my beloved Ozzie just over a year ago to Cancer and Insulinoma (he
was only 4).  Here we are, just over a year later and I am so afraid of
losing Casper - he's only 3.  I don't know if I can go through with this
again.  All I could think of last night when I went to bed was that I may
have to put him down if this doesn't change soon.  It will kill me.  He
would be the third "child" that I've lost in 1 1/2 years.

Please, anyone who has any thoughts or ideas.  Thank you.

Lisa