From:
Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:40:29 -0400
This is a question for vets or anyone else who might have a suggestion.  I
took two of Kelly's ferrets and Champ is having problems, presumably from
when he was descented.  I once had a rescue ferret with an abcess from
scent glands, but that was just beside the anus.  Champ's problems seem to
be *inside* the anus.

His anus is red, swollen and very painful.  His poop is a little soft (as
far as I know, there is no particular reason for it being soft) and is
complicating matters by sticking to his fur back there.  He is in pain when
he poops, gets frantic if you try to examine him down there and is generally
pretty unhappy.  Kelly gave me some Panalog the vet had given her.  She said
it seemed to do fine when his hair was shaved short, but when the hair grew
back, he seemed to start having problems again.

I've been soaking just his bottom in warm water as often as I can to help
keep the area clean.  He initially reacted strongly to being put in the
water, but after giving him Ferretone, he settled down and just stood there
while he licked the oil off the bottle.  The second time I soaked him, he
was much better about it, and I suspect it didn't hurt as much, as it didn't
seem to be so inflamed, but it's hard to tell with the hair in the way.

Kelly also said one vet felt a nerve might have been nicked as there doesn't
seem to be as good muscle tone on the one side.

I have a clipper, but he's *so* frantic to get away I'm afraid of nicking
his already sore anus.  Any suggestions?

--Barb--