From:
DTHOMASON <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 1994 21:06:04 -0500
Kevin (MH7)--
      Your comments to Dr. Williams on rabies vaccinations and reference
to the McDowell case seem to be saying that lack of current rabies
vaccination is a large factor in their case.  If this is indeed what you
were saying, please allow me to clarify.  Both of the McDowells' ferrets
were current on their IMRAB vaccinations.  The state of Kansas has
refused to acknowledge the vaccine, and testimony from folks attached to
the Health Department there stated that ferrets are wild, her reasoning
being that, "...there are vaccines for domesticated animals...."!  I
guess they find IMRAB to be chopped liver.  If the court is in anyway
saying that the ferret was unvaccinated, it is because the judge would
not allow the admission of the ferret's veterinary records as evidence,
calling them "hearsay."
      I will say as I have before, I disagree with Dr.Williams' feelings
about rabies vaccination and will keep my own ferrets' vaccinations
current.  However, if you are trying to use the McDowell case to support
your opinion (and mine), you've only succeeded in demonstrating exactly
what Dr. Williams stated was certain to happen in the event of a bite!

Tarra and Matt--
     I was sorry to hear that Nook didn't take to motherhood well.
Would neither of your other girls due soon foster the babies?  That is
one advantage to breeding more than one jill at the same time, but I
don't know if it works if the foster mom hasn't delivered yet or what
impact it might have on her acceptance of her own kits later.
Unfortunately, refusal to nurse is not all that uncommon-- I'm not a
breeder, but I've heard it mentioned many times by those who do breed.
Ditto on chewing up kits.  The ones you found in the litter box may have
been deposited there by a new mom who didn't understand what was going
on and took the urge to push as an urge to potty.  For future births,
you might consider keeping a very close eye on mom on day 41 of
gestation and staying home and nearby on day 42, when most ferrets
deliver.  If you can find a way to get the kitten milk replacement into
the kits, and can keep them warm and fed frequently enough, you might
manage to save them, though human fostering of newborn kits often
fails.  Sorry that I have no suggestions for a suitable way to transfer
the formula to them.  The STAR* listing I have has no one in the Dakotas
for me to suggest as a contact.  I be praying that your other girls are
more prepared to be mommies.  Good luck.

             Debra