From:
Ron Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:54:19 -0500
>From:    Ferret Fanatic <[log in to unmask]>
>By now the kitchen floor is covered in cornstarch peanuts.  Dumb me,
>figured the peanuts were safe, left the kitchen and went to clean the cage.
>Have to stop cleaning cage several times to see how the fuzzies are doing
>in the kitchen.  We have a problem.  Ginger has decided to take it upon
>herself to declare the peanuts as the newest litter around and peed, and
>as I watched, pooped, on as many as she could of them.  Do you know what
>cornstarch peanuts do when they get wet?  They break down to mush, so I
>have several piles (puddles?) of brown or yellow mush on my floor...
>
>Do you know what happens when they eat cornstarch peanuts?  White, fluffy,
>watery poop!  I learned my lesson, my ferrets will no longer be getting
>the peanuts!<LOL>

Vicki Vicki Vicki,

As I asked you last night what ya got against white fluffy poop?  It makes
for a nice change... LOL Great story, well told....

Here is how I do it, without your troubles.

I bought a plastic box at Wal-Mart that has a lid.  On the lid are some
vents that have a lid on them.  I think it is so you can put things like
deodorizers or mothballs in.  The box is about a foot and a half tall,
the same width and a length of about two feet or so.  Pretty cool box.

When I got this box home I figured, knowing my crew very well that there
was absolutely no way the peanuts would stay in the box without the lid, so
I took off the little covers to the vents so they could get air.  Then it
dawned on me that they couldn't get in there to play.  Hmmmmmm what to do.
I went to Lowe's and bought a dryer vent.  The part that goes through the
wall to outside.  Took out the little flapper, cut a round hole in the box
about 1/2 inch from the top and center on the front.  Stuck the vent in the
whole with the metal part sticking towards the outside.  Then I hooked up a
ferret freeway to the metal part.  That way they can't throw the peanuts
all over God's Creation, or my basement.  You do need to change the peanuts
every month or so cuz they do get really stinky.  They absorb the oil from
the fuzzbutts... Ewwwww.  My hobby of ferrets still love to play in them
after about a year and a half.

Fuzzie Dad
Rascal,Treble,Cocoa,Moose,Charlotte,