From:
Darrin Fuller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:44:42 +1000
>Influenza strikes the U.S. every year.  We all know ferrets can catch
>colds and other illnesses from the mommies and daddies.  While this
>article is not" totally" ferret-related it does include information to
>keep the adults healthy, so influenza does not come into the house to
>your little babies.

Sorry, I am a bit concerned about the recent post of herbal and
homeopathic remedies for the flu.

There is no "cure" for the flu, and no preventatives, except vaccines.
(which as was correctly stated, may or may not be the right ones for the
flu that season)

Even with herbal remedies, you can, and will, still will catch the flu,
the herbal remedies may alleviate the symptoms, and or lessen the period
of infection, but you will still get the flu!.  If influenza is going to
come into your house, no amount of remedies will stop it..  it may
alleviate it... but it will still come in..

So keep in mind, that if you get he flu, and are using herbal,
homeopathic, witchdoctors, or other remedies, you are still contagious,
and your ferrets can still catch it from you, even if your symptoms are
minimal.

Keep in mind too, that "remedies" are NOT preventatives.

Also, Echinacea can make you Ill, if taken for long periods of time ( as
can many herbal remedies), and I am somewhat alarmed about someone
suggesting we give "human" herbal remedies to ferrets in doses that (as
far as I know) are not tested.  especially when we all know that ferrets
cannot digest, and can develop problems, with consuming such things as
apple juice and "flowers"

however, I too to believe that if your ferret is over 60 years of age the
flu may be dangerous to them ... huh ?

I am actually surprised that such a blatant advertising post was allowed
through..  (sorry BIG), but some of the "remedies" refer to things like
promotion of sweating, ( how many ferrets "sweat" ?), how many drink
"tea" ?

We have ten ferrets and in the last five years we have had only one
"cold" in ONE ferret.  If you have the cold or flu..  DO NOT handle your
ferrets.. and especially don't make up tinctures, and teas, or share a
room with aromatherapy candles with your ferrets while you have the flu,
in the hope that your flu will not then spread to them.. ?  or am I
being illogical..

yes , look after yourself this flu season, take whatever remedies you
think best ( I personally like garlic and vitamin C) but, be aware that
you still may get the flu, and even with NO symptoms you can spread it
to your fuzzies, and feeding them things like garlic and vitamin C
could(quite possibly) be more harmful then not..

Darrin

[Moderator's note: I'm not sure why people would consider Mary's post to
be "blatant advertising" any more so than a DVM's post about Batril(r) --
but I would say both would be appropriate for the FML.  BIG]