From:
"Paula E. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 11:52:12 -0600
I painted my toenails blue today, and it really got the ferrets' attention.
It is not something I normally do; I'm sure they have never seen painted
toenails before.  First Kitka sniffed and sniffed my big toe.  Later
Charlotte licked and bit it.  It has been very entertaining.  I am sure it
is the scent rather than any change of shade.  I am sure they do not see in
color.

Lately we have had problems with largish ants coming into the house. They
do sting, and we are doing our darndest to get rid of them. Both girls
sniff furiously wherever an ant has walked, been smushed, or on our shoes
where we have stepped on one. They regularly find the ants for us to
dispose of. What good sniffers!

Today Kitka nipped another relatively unfamiliar person. No broken skin,
but it still hurts! I am sad to say that we just can't trust her around
people other than myself or my husband. We have tried so many things, and
she is still a little nipper. A few may recall that when we first got her
she would bite everyone, and draw blood regularly. Now I can trust her to
take a cheerio from my lips, but she will bite any guest in our home. She
saunters right up and chomps without any provocation or other interaction.
Sigh.
Hope everybody's fuzzies playing furiously.
Paula