From:
Date:
Wed, 12 May 1999 15:17:51 -0700
>From:    Moxie <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Petco
>I don't believe PETCO is concerned about the homeless plight of
>ferrets, and neither the Ferret Association of CT or myself will
>buy any of their products.

It seems that you think that PetCo can't care about ferrets if they don't
respond in particular to you.  Is that correct?

PetCo has the same access to information on shelters that you in FACT
would.  Heck, the AFA publishes it quite openly on their web page and
STAR* distributes a list very widely.

What I could conclude is that perhaps Mike Woodward isn't very good at
replying to all mail.  Not that he is or is not worried about the "homeless
plight of ferrets."

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: House Rabbit Society regaurding Petco
>Children are still allowed to hold a wiggling fert standing up.  I hear
>the stories about the babies being dropped on their heads and injured on
>a regular basis.

Oddly enough I have never heard a story about a ferret being dropped on its
head in a pet store.  Certainly not on a regular basis.  Well come to think
of it I have never heard of a ferret being injured by being dropped.  I am
quite serious.  I can see how it might be possible but have not
specifically heard about that.

>and has permanent lung damage from PETCO.

Verified lung damage?  As far as I know the warnings about cedar and pine
chips are extrapolations from studies about people in saw mills.  Are you
sure that there is lung damage and that it is from the store?

>It is so easy to be a poor needy shelter with loving heart and best
>intentions to be bribed by rich powerful businesses unless one understands
>that he IS being bribed.

No!  The "shelter" is not being bribed.  THe shelter is taking advantage
of an offer from the store that is likely to be mutually advantageous.

The world isn't a place of evil bad coporations and sweet innocent shelters
being ripped off by the companies.

>Then it just takes looking at a few shelters and hearing the horror
>stories to realize that if everyone unites on this and doesn't give in to
>PETCO, we may be able to keep ferret shelters no-kill shelters.

That is a non-sequitor.  Shelters can remain "no-kill" for the simple
reason that they choose to be.  THe problem with dog and cat
over-population is easing all the time for the simple reason that more
and.  the dog and cat owning worlds are getting their pets properly spayed
and neutered.  The reason ferrets are not in the huge over-population
situtation is that by and large ferrets ARE neutered.  Your very post
condemns the store and then points out why it shouldn't be condemned for
the practice of selling neutered ferrets.

>From:    "Melissa A. Durfee" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Petco
>it's just the incoherent flailing of people who choose to remain ignorant.

I thank you for deciding that anyone who disagrees with Sandi is ignorant.
I tend to think that more knowledge might put one in a different frame of
mind.

Well okay.  I certainly did not send email to Sandi as she has chosen not
to read anything that might differ in opinion - despite her choosing to
flame others.

>Did you all hear what Sandi said?  The House Rabbit Society wouldn't allow
>itself to be bribed by Petco so *Petco had to deal with them.*
>
>Doesn't that make sense?

No.

I have read what Sandi has said numerous times and think she is
disingenous.  PetCo would sell or not sell rabbits for its own reasons.
The House Rabbit Society did not dictate terms to PetCo.  They did not
come in as a white knight and defeat a great Satan.  If and I mean if,
the house rabbit society had any influence on the decision it was based on
the corporation actually caring.  The only way that HRS could affect the
decision was to reach in and convince emotionally.  Turning down money
couldn't have made the least difference.  It makes no sense whatsoever.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets