From:
"Ellen J. List" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 12:02:44 -0400
NEED RECOMMENDATION FOR VET
I need a reference for a vet in the Pittsburgh or Cleveland area who is
a known expert with ferrets.  I am looking for a second opinion for my
precious little Eddie--3 years old.

History/Symptoms:
Sudden onset (Saturday morning) of extremity weakness, especially hind
end, with generalized shivering.  His gate is hesitant and uncoordinated
and he often falls over when first trying to walk.  Appetite and water
intake remain normal.  No knowledge of injury in the last 6 months.

Lab work:
Urinalysis shows +++ for blood and bilirubin.  ALKP and ALT are very high
(liver).  Glucose was upper range of normal BUT it was not fasting.

Current Treatment:
Saturday a.m. given Prednisone injection for possible disc disease--(no
oral follow up due to high liver readings--oral steroids are hard on the
liver), Augmentin twice daily for Cystitis.

Improvement since onset and treatment (48 hours) is minimal.

If you have any experience with these symptoms or know of a vet in the
Pittsburgh or Cleveland area--please advise ASAP.

Thank you,
Ellen