From:
Ashley Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:23:56 -0400
We are in the process of learning all we possibly can before adding a ferret
to our family.  I have been reading several books on ferret care and have
read that a ferret should not be spayed or neutered or descented prior to
the age of 6 months.  Our pet shops have Marshall Farms ferrets and they
arrive at the age of 8 weeks or so, already altered and descented.  What's
the scoop on this issue?  I would prefer to purchase a very young female kit
from a breeder and avoid the pet shop route all together but have had
difficulty locating a breeder here in Southwest Florida.  If I am forced to
go the way of the pet store I don't want to find that my ferret's health has
been endangered by early surgery.  Does anyone have any advice?  We have our
hearts set on bringing our baby ferret home around mid November and I would
like to have time to search for just the right little girl.  I know that you
folks are the ones to ask because my vet won't even discuss ferrets with me!