From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 11:01:28 -0600
Goodness!  I've just caught up on the FMLs.

There was a post awhile back from a vet tech asking individuals that didn't
have medical degrees not to second guess veterinarians.  I must say that
this struck a chord with me.  What I'm going to say is not intended to be a
flame or discredit either profession, only to relate my experience.

First off, we need to realize that not all vets are familiar with ferrets
and their ailments.  I know from personal experience how deadly a vet can be
to our fuzzies when the vet knows little to nothing about them.  This is not
to discredit vets, only to state the fact that not ALL vets are familiar
with ferrets.  Some vets also take offense to suggestions for treatments for
ferrets, while others greatfully accept any and all information they can
get.  No one vet can know everything about every animal.  Most prefer to
work on certain species and concentrate on those particular animals (i.e.
small animals, exotics, agricultural).  Within those groups are many types
of animals.

Second, not all vet med colleges teach a wide curriculum on ferrets.  In
fact, some only teach very basic information and some less.  This is shown
by the fact that some vets do not even know there is an approved USDA
licensed rabies vaccine for ferrets (Feb. 1990).

Third, many shelter people are very familiar with ferrets.  Due to lack of
ferret knowledgeable vets in any particular area, we have had to learn on
our own.  Let me say at this point that I have 12 years of experience with
ferrets and 10 years experience of nursing them.  When I first experienced a
serious ferret ailment, the vets in our area knew nothing about them and in
fact, I was the first person to bring a ferret in to be diagnosed with
insulinoma BEFORE it died.  Because the vets in our area knew little about
ferrets, I did the data research on the ailment and gave a copy to the vet.
This started my data research into medical ailments of ferrets which
continues today and includes personal experience with many different ferret
ailments.  When those of us that are not vets suggest treatments or question
treatments we are doing so from experience and recommend that the person
receiving the info speak with their vet about our suggestions or concerns.

We have a wonderful veterinarian now.  He is willing to listen to my
experience and information and willing to share his information so that we
may choose the best treatment for our little ones.  He is willing to call
other more ferret knowledgeable vets when he is stumped or has a concern.
He and I are learning and sharing continuously.

One very important aspect he acknowledges is that I live with my ferrets
each and every day.  I see their normal behavoir patterns and when they
exhibit abnormal behavoir I may be the only one that can determine it is
abnormal.  For example - a few of the ferrets weren't feeling quite right.
They looked fine, they acted what seemed normal to outsiders.  I took them
to the vet, he examined them and watched them explore the room.  He said
they looked fine and maybe it was just my imagination (this is a joke
between us because he knows that when I bring them in there most definitely
is something wrong).  We ran a fecal sample and VOILA - Clostridium
overgrowth on all 5.

And finally, nursing is a skill.  Not all of us have it.  Most, if not all,
ferret shelter people possess this skill and have helped terminal ferrets to
survive much longer than their veterinarians have expected and some ferrets
have been brought back when the vets had given up all hope.

While many of us may not have a medical degree, we may have the knowledge
and experience that can help in ferret ailments.  And we are willing to
share.

This was meant as a gentle post.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm
greatful to all the vets that work so diligently to better the lives of all
animals.  But remember too, that we have made many sacrifices in our lives
as well, to better the lives of our beloved ferrets.  We are the ones that
will nurse them through their ailments and hold and cuddle and talk softly
to them when they are dying.  All we want to do is help.

Hugs to all. tle

[PS]
And let's not forgot -
There are also many individuals that are not shelter people that have taken
it upon themselves to research certain issues, whether it be medical,
nutritional, or psychological.  They too, are relaying experience and
knowledge that can prove helpful to others.  Or at the very least give us
something to think about.  By sharing this information we can perhaps a
provide a better quality of life for our beloved ferrets.

Hugs.  tle