From:
christine herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:43:13 -0800
Thank you  all for your response.

Yes a sanctuary is intended for animals that are not domesticated.
Retired circus lions and such..

Not, not every ferret that comes to a shelter can go on to a private
home.But most can transition to one..even some very hard luck cases.

Yes, some ferrets that show up at the zoo are much better off there than
in abuse and neglect elsewhere.BIG says we should focus on results.  we
know talk is cheap and results count.but still I would be curious to see
how the zoo keepers and their charges are faring in 5 years...

Yes, they are hard to give up to an adoption home, especially the ones
who came as hard luck cases because you have spent so much emotion on
them..

It is the right thing to do though.

Not every collector is a raggy old lady with a small apartment full of
cats.  It is a psychological syndrome and it has it's begginnings.It's
begginings are well intentioned.

NO ONE goes into it thinking:

I'll get as many animals as i can, keep them as mine and work like a dog
till I am exhausted, my resources spent, and I am overwhelmed and over
burdened and crash out.Then I will have to be bailed out cause I am at my
wits end.  After i get myself together I'll try again becasue I love the
animals and must have lots of them.....

If the ferrets in the zoo are personal pets ( which they really are)
then the zoo should not have tax exempt status,tax write offs, or accept
donations.If the zoo does then it has opened itself up to the public
forum, and become part of the system.  We, as part of that system ,also,
have a right to questions.  If the zoo maintains web sites, has recieved
press coverage regarding 56 ferrets housed in a room off the kitchen
(maybe it is spacious and clean, but would you do it?) and several dogs,
chickens and an Emu in residence we have a right to ask what the real
motivation is for all this and whether or not there is a potentialy
dangerous collector/hoarder.

Ferrets are living beings , not furniture and if anyone professes to be
an expert in their care and psychology they've got to stand up to it in
every way.

I stand by my statements , knowing it will change nothing.

To Kurt who asks why I rehash this..  The above mentioned is why I rehash
this.  I resent your rude tone.

Christine