Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2009 11:36:22 -0400
Hi Everyone,

This is for a great cause. WIthout support from the MS society my
husband would not have the medication (Avonex) that he needed for his
MS. Plus without their research, individuals like my husband would be
on a lottery for experimental drugs. To make a long story short, my
husband's uncle was diagnosed with MS back in the 80's. Their were NO
medications at that time specified for this illness. The only thing
doctors were prescribing was anti-inflammatories such as steroids.
Little to their knowledge, this didn't help. So, back in the early
1990's there was a trail medication for this. People were placed on
a lottery to receive such "new and experimental" medications. His
uncle was picked. The side effects were so intense and little to the
researchers knowledge the medication didn't work. It needed to be
modified. So, with a few more years of research they found the right
combination---interferon 1b plus there maybe other medications with
different ingredients. Anyhow, now the medication is readily available,
but not without a price. For an example Avonex is $2500 a month w/o
insurance. Thankfully, my husband has double insurance so we only pay
$30 a month. But, for those individuals w/o insurance the MS society
helps negotiate a price with insurance companies and pharmacies.
Furthermore, they assist individuals with this illness in anyway that
they can. So PLEASE DONATE FOR A GOOD CAUSE! Thank you for all of you
that do donate and help out for a good cause.

Kris Church LVT