From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:05:46 EST
Re: Declawing?
>I have a beautiful seven week old whom has the sharpest claws i've felt
>on any animal.  We've thought of the idea of possibly having him (Simon)
>declawed.... Is this an ethical practice?  Or is it normal.

Yikes!  This is one of those quasi-religious issues that pop up here from
time to time that generates quite a number of posts.  Many feel that it is
unethical and inhumane to declaw animals and then there are others who
don't.  I think BIG has closed discussions on this issue before just like
he did on the grief-post issue.  So try and remember that if you are
posting to this issue!  ;)

Anyways.....if your Simon is still a baby, his claws will seem sharper than
when he is an adult.  When they are young, the claws are smaller and they
seem more like little needles than the adult claws....kind of like puppy
teeth vs.  adult dog teeth.  If you've ever been playing with a puppy and
experienced those needle-like puppy teeth, you'll know what I'm talking
about!  If he's young, give it time.  The claws get a little broader and
bigger - and not so sharp.  I think of ferrets having more a dog-like claw
rather than a cat-type nail.

If he's an adult, try clipping his nails very regularly.  Keep them short.
You got to remember that his nails, just after clipping, will be rough and
kind of sharp until he wears them down and smooths them so don't expect
immediate "non-sharpness" from his nails.  If he's a handful during nail
clipping, try it while he is sleeping (it works!) or with a drop of
ferretone/linatone on his belly (works too!).

As far as the ethics or normality of declawing ferrets.....almost all
ferrets here are not declawed so I would say it is not normal.  It is
probably as normal as having a dog declawed.  Ethics.....that's a personal
issue, but my take on it is this: in deciding upon an animal, people should
be prepared to accept the animal for what the animal is....and that may
include their claws, teeth, barking, hair on the floor, poop in the corner,
digging at carpets, meowing, etc.

I hope this helps... :)

-kim, squirt (The only good part of nail clipping is the treat I get
 afterwards!), pippi (ditto!), atlas (ditto!), hijinx (ditto!)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.