From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 02:16:59 -0400
I will be posting the following letter to Mayor Richard Daley in Chicago
on Sat am... I urge you ALL to write a similar letter-- BEFORE ferrets
are restricted and classified as exotic animals.

The trend to erradicate ferrets as pets by exotic ruling is spreading
across the US-- We need to STOP it here..  before it is too late.
Please read and draft your copy TODAY ALL letters need to be received
by WEDNESDAY!

Alicia D.
ferret owner & advocate
Dear Mayor Daley,
I am writing to you today with regard to the matter of legalization of
the domesticated ferret in IL and the position that your facing et al
listing as an exotic animal.  Your opposition on deaming this animal a
companion animal is unfounded and relies on many untruths.  These false
statements can be countered and are backed up by historical documentation
and research.  Regarding this well loved animal, the domesticated ferret,
firstly, you have likely heard heretofore that surveys of all 50 states
were solicited regarding feral ferret population in the late 1990's and
not one state in the entire United States reported any.  Additionally
the implied reports by CA officials of feral ferrets on Vachon Island
is also totally false.  I have conversed with several families who have
been in residence there over the years, one just this past week who
coincidentally have not seen any presence of feral ferrets on the island
EVER!

You may not be aware of the important historical significance of the
domesticated ferret they were domesticated about 2,000 years prior to
the cat.  Domesticated ferrets first arrived ( immigrated) to the US on
sailing ships in the 1700's with explorers and early colonists.  This is
documented and I would be glad to supply the information for you.  These
animals, which you are so adverse to, were employed by the humans in the
capacity of rodent control.  The ferrets chased rats & mice from the
cargo areas of sailing ships (and later barns) to keep food stores
healthy for the settlers.  Yes, they served a purpose in our existence
as rodent control until the mid- late 1800's when chemical pesticides
were invented.

In other countries England, France, Australia - ferrets are employed or
utilized to this day for the purpose of rodent control and also for
ferreting out hares which are utilized for meat & fur trades (though I
may not be in support of these venues), these ferrets are trained and
kept much as a oxen, or draft horse would be in an agricultural capacity.
In no case are these animals feral or exotic.  Exotic would mean that the
animal is not found here and the domesticated ferret has been in the
United States as long as humans have been here invading the continent and
depriving the native American Indians of their rightful lands!

These domesticated ferrets are supplied with food, water & housing just
like any cat or dog or horse kept by humans for companionship.  The CDC
has ruled like companion dogs and cats they receive USDA approved
vaccinations for rabies and canine distemper.  The CDC would not have
made this ruling IF the domesticated ferret posed a problem with human
life or safety.  Nor would the USDA be approving vaccines for use if
this was a dangerous animal or threat.

In the US today ferrets are still employed in the construction trades by
US contractors who build high rises, nuclear plants and submarines.  In
this capacity ferrets run cables though conduits.  In these capacities
the ferrets are trained & kept as pets.  Checking any historical archive
you will find:

1- The Colonial Navy in the US had three vessels all named the USS
   Ferret.  Interesting right?  These vessels were named by their
   captains for the mascots, the ferrets which kept the food stores
   healthy for the ships attendants.

2- The USS Constitution also had a mascot ferret.

3- Early settlers employed ferreters to keep there stockyards and barns
   rodent free.  In all cases the ferrets worked for humans and provided
   a service.  They were kept- not gathered in the wild.

4- Several located early American trade journals marketed cages, feed
   supplies and more for ferrets which were raised for rodent control
   purposes and kept by human caretakers.

Though a related species of the animal (Black footed ferret) resides
facing extinction in desserts in Wyoming etc., the domesticated ferret
is not the same animal.  Much in the same as the wolf and domesticated
canine are not the same animal.

As a volunteer educator with more than 13 years experience within the
humane and ferret community, I urge you to please bring the concerned
Chicago committee members out of the dark ages.  To appreciate the
historical significance of the species Mustela Furo, and to reverse
your opposition to acceptance of the domesticated ferret as a companion
animal in Chicago and any and all other US territories.

In closing, ferrets are not EXOTIC animals, they have earned respect
and dignity in their evolution serving human creatures.  Ferrets should
not be categorized, scrutinized and deprived of human companionship in
a political strong-arm tactic.  The opposition and lack of respect for
historical data on the domesticated ferret by your organization shows
a selfish and callous self serving attitude to the animal community.
Please consider reversing your stand on this issue, only then will I
and the others I teach hold your organization in high esteem.

Sincerely,
Alicia Drakiotes,  humane educator