From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2001 22:48:46 +1200
Greetings,

I am a little behind on my FML digests and thus a couple of posters (Karen
and Debi) have stolen some of my thunder.

My post may come across as a flame, and in a way I guess it is.  It is
also an indication of how strongly I feel about the issue (personal
freedom / personal responsibility, not how many ferrets is too many).

Never having been to the USA (where I assume the original poster is from)
I don't know what the situation is, but where I am from (New Zealand),
Nanny State intrudes into almost all aspects of my life.  The message
usually portrayed by Nanny State is "you are a moron and thus not capable
of thinking for yourself".  While I'm sure NZ has it's share of morons, I
am also sure the majority of people (myself included <grin>) are not.

The long and short of it is, as long as it does not infringe on the rights
of my fellow citizens, it is none of the States business, or yours Linda
for that matter, how many ferrets I have.  To you both I say butt out -
my ferrets, my responsibility.  While it is true that many New Zealanders
(and I dare say Americans) are loath to take personal responsibility for
their actions, more bureaucrats "running our lives with our money" is not
the answer.

I have 5 ferrets of my own and as someone who fosters ferrets (sometimes
long term) I am constantly tempted to adopt them all myself (2 of my 5
are adopted fosters), however I have self discipline, a sense of personal
responsibility and I know my limitations.  While I'm sure there are some
people who think with their hearts first and not their head, it is still
nobodies business but theirs.

Having said the above, I do in some respects feel like a hypocrite.  I
despise all State interference in my life, but I have broken down and
obtained a license to keep more than 3 ferrets, as required by NZ law (I
am licensed to keep up to 12).  This is dually because I am a member of an
organisation that promotes "responsible ferret ownership", which includes
obeying the law, and I am afraid of the consequences (The State has a "gun"
at my head).  It is a sad state of affairs I feel, when citizens are afraid
of their Government, a Government that is supposed to be their servant, not
their master.

Yours in freedom (and awaiting the fallout of his first ever flame),
-David,
Thor, Grover, Milly, Lady Penelope, Snuff and boarders Hershey and
Kerberos.