From:
Lesa-Marie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:36:10 -0400
>From:    outlawdook <[log in to unmask]>
>There is no way, I believe that there is not a fossil fert turd anywhere
>in your home

I hope I cut and pasted the right person to the above expression.  I think
Melissa answered this very well, but I wanted to post to say that she is
not alone.  I also have around 99% (can't take credit for 100%, but VERY
close) with my girls.  Also, read on because I offer some things that I
think are very very important when it comes to getting them to do it where
*you* want them to... all the while they believe it's where *they* chose
on their own.  (and BTW, my two did it anywhere they wanted for almost 8
months before I figured this stuff out, so I now think almost *any* ferret
can be *guided*, not *trained*.

My two only sleep in the cage at night.  Only one room in my house has a
litter pan.  Actually it's a spare bedroom with 3 cat boxes for my cats and
a weezl cage.  My girls will run from anywhere in the house back to the
cat boxes to do their biz.  Rarely, they will do it on a piece of plastic
carpet protector I put down in front of another door to protect the carpet
from them digging at it.  [Mark my words, I *know* this will stop... read
on]

Here is what I have learned about litter training... I call it Zero
Tolerance, but in NO WAY do I mean punishing the ferrets.  In my old house,
my girls did it almost anywhere they wanted to.  I simply could not win.
Now, in my new house (over 6 months now), they ONLY go in the cat boxes.  I
am *certain* this is because I was not cleaning the carpet well enough in
the old house.  You MUST get ALL smells out of the carpet when they have
an accident.  This helps to discourage them.  Also, in my old house, I had
conveniently placed litter boxes in almost every room... I now believe that
I mistakenly gave them the impression they could do their bizness in any
room.  So for them, missing the box by, say, 8 feet, was acceptible.

Importantly, I am talking about 99% perfect now from two females (now aged
1 and 2) who did it whereever they pleased for around 8 months!!  I think
the hardest part is tryin to keep them from using an already stinking piece
of carpet ( or floor).  You have to get right down to the subfloor below.
You have to be diligent.  Don't leave it til tomorrow, because if they come
back and find one drop of urine, then it *is* a cat box!

And finally, I think that the expression 'litter training' is a misnomer.
You don't litter train kittens either.  They do it instinctively.  I say,
follow their instincts... which means, follow their noses!  Don't keep cat
pans in every room because this tells them every room is a bathroom.  And
start fresh, even if it means having a professional carpet cleaning service
coem to your house.  Remember to pay them for "pet stains and odors"...
it's usually extra and requires different solutions.  (talk to them about
toxicities too!!)  Also, and very very important, clean the wall about 4
inches above their favorite pooping spots too, or they'll smell it.

So, clean their messes up immediately, and clean it really really well.
Put food bowls in those corners, it can help.  Follow them around for days
and days.  When you see one acting suspicious near a corner, pick it up
gently (full tummys can hurt you know), take it to the litter box and place
him in.  If he jumps out and heads for a corner, go get him and talk to
him... repeat.  When he's done his biz, reward him with kind words and
petting.  They are very smart and learn from this.  Don't think of it as
training, but as proper guidance.

How come your toddler is better than your weezl?  Because you watch him
like a hawk!  Nothing gained from "after the fact" guidance.  They simply
do not understand sentences.

They are quite intelligent and very capable of learning.  It is far more
important that *you* are *trained* in the art of *their* biz... this way
you can guide them well.

Good luck and hugs.  I hope this helps.
LM