From:
Melissa Furash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 17:38:58 EST
One week ago Snoopy had a small dark subcutaneous lump removed from his
scapula.  I had shown the vet the lump on friday and we both think it
grew in the few days before surgery.  Poor Snoops was SO itchy before the
surgery...when I held him and scratched him he even purred (kind of like
a cat but shorter).  Well we got the pathology report back:
Arteriovenous Fistula

What is surprising is that the pathologist said that while these are common
in dogs he had never seen one in a ferret before.  Has anyone else had one
of these removed?  I'm certainly not complaining as surgical excision is
curative and this is not a cancer.

On babies...I am expecting my first child in 2 weeks.  I have cleaned
litter pans daily since before the pregnancy (hubby travels so him doing it
wasn't an option).  I have never worried about Toxoplasmosis because I work
for a vet and figure that if I wasn't exposed prior to pregnancy it was a
miracle.  My OB agreed...thank goodness she isn't one of the "get rid of
all pets" types of Dr. but I wouldn't go to her if she was.  OFCOURSE you
should never leave a child alone with a ferret, or a dog, or cat.  In
fact...you should never leave a child unattended ever.  Maybe if it's in
it's crib and you are in the house.  Children are always exploring and
doing and trying and half the things they try are dangerous.  Any animal
can bite, in fact my 2 worst bites have been from a hamster and a child.

Melissa
and Meeko, Percy, Snoopy and Bear