From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:11:44 -0500
>From:    Meghan Bonikowski <[log in to unmask]>
>My door to the area where ferrets are NOT allowed has a gap from the
>bottom of the door to the floor.  It is about 1 and 3/4 inches wide.

You can buy a small wooden piece (about 3" wide) called a threshhold which
goes under a door (between the door frame).  If you get the right width, it
will just slide in and you don't need to nail it etc.  Works great.

An ounce of prevention...
>Also, try giving him a piece of electrical cord that is not plugged in.
>When he chews on it, squirt him with water, like from a squirt gun...
>he'll probably find it anoying enough to eventually stop chewing on cords.

When you have a 2-year-old, you move furniture to cover up electrical
outlets or buy switchplate covers rather than counting on the 2-year-old to
understand that you don't want him sticking his finger in the outlet.  It's
similar with ferrets: think 2-year old.  It's up to you to ferretproof your
house.  Why take chances, when one bad bite could mean an electrocuted
ferret.

>From:    Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: We're lecturing at PetCo. Good/bad?
>PetCo recently replaced both locations of PetCare here in Huntsville,
>Alabama.  ... We instead decided that if we educated the employees, they
>might then be able to give customers better information and maybe keep
>some of these people from making impulse purchases.

My personal preference would be that Petco not sell ferrets.  However, I
think until that happens, educating Petco employees is a GREAT idea.  It's
wonderful that the manager is open to it.

By the way, Petco headquarters has stated that they would like to know
of any stores where animals are not being treated properly etc.  Their
address/officers are:

Petco
9125 Rehco Road
San Diego, CA 92121

Brian K. Devine
Chairman, President and CEO

Larry D. Asselin
Senior Vice President

Richard C. St. Peter
Executive Vice President, CFO and Secretary

William M. Woodard
Senior Vice President

James M. Myers
Senior Vice President, Finance and CAO